Discussion Board

GPRS Connection name

Hi, I have a question for the experts!

When I use the ".connect" method of the socket, a list with all connection available pop-up, and, after selecting one, the soft go on.

My question is that: Can i use the ".connect" method passing connection name, resulting in a connection without the pop up list with connection name?

Hope I was clear

Thanks in advance!

Xen0n

No one know a valid response? I'm glad to see that, also Nokia Python's developer dont know the answ! Please answ when someone post or python will never go out!

Regular Contributor
    Hello,

please keep in mind that expecially at this time people could be in holiday and that anyway none gives to anyone a guarantee of getting a question answered in the short time in a forum.

Coming to your question, as far as I know the answer is "no, at this point it is not possible".
    The pop-up menu which arises to allow user to select a connection is a platform (=Symbian) requirement that at this stage cannot be avoided. The idea is that the user must know when his/her device connects to the gprs network.
    Again, in future that could change.

Hope it helps,
    Mik

connection

i'm note sure about what u said... take care that many software, in the option ask for a connection, and when they must connect, no popup come to ask the connection.... lets see in the future tnx for response!

Regular Contributor
    I'll put in this way: the pop-up menu asking to choose which connection to use arises because "Symbian wants it".
    Since Python is on top of Symbian, that cannot be avoided.
    In future things maybe different.

-Mik

Regular Contributor
    It's probably not a good idea to give a shared language interpreter the ability to make a network connection without notifying the device owner -- especially since network traffic costs money. (Most people don't have unlimited data plans.)

In the future, it may be possible for a specific application to establish network connections without alerting the user, but I doubt it will ever be the default behavior of Python (or any other programming language on the phone.)

The general take on things like this is that anytime your application is doing something that could potentially cost the owner money, the system should prompt the user for permission.

man, look around! it's full of software that connect to internet without asking to the user! explain that so! :-\

Super Contributor
    Originally posted by Xen0n
    man, look around! it's full of software that connect to internet without asking to the user! explain that so! :-\
    Not true. The phone asks the user each time it opens a connection to the Internet. After the connection has been opened any app can then use the connection without separate prompts.

just adding that a connection can also drop and would then require the user to allow it again when it is needed the next time.

:-/

ok man... try a soft called ProfiMail... if u set up the connection name in the option, when the soft connect, dont ask for connection... i u dont belive me, try it. maybe i post some screenshot if u dont belive me. .........

Re: GPRS Connection name

hi,
    i was reading this threat because i also need this function. i am using opera browser and it automatically uses the predefined gprs access point. you just tell opera the preferred apn in the settings.
    i would need this same function in python. how would this be possible.

kind regards
    alexander

Ohhhhhhh finally someone with the same problem :P plz find solution at that!

I have the same problem as well, I need to keep a connection open between a computer and a Nokia 6600 that is stationed in some place where there's no one in a several kilometers radius, and if disconnects, the device becomes completely useless since i can't connect (that damn access point list opens up).

Anyone's got a solution for this?