Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Question JAIN SIP and Symbian C++ SIP

Hello I was able to do a SIP Invite from Symbian C++ emulator to Jain SIP PC side using the Nokia SIP Plugin v3.0 for Series 60. The JAIN SIP was able to send a Response back to the Symbian C++ emulator. Now my problem is how to send a JAIN SIP invite to the emulator.

Initially I had problems with the tags of the ToHeader and FromHeader and was receiving a 481 error (No dialog found) from the Nokia SIP Server. When I set the tags to the sip addresses that I was using, now I get a Timeout error on the JAIN SIP side. This is the same error I receive if the Symbian C++ has not registered itself to the Nokia SIP Server, which cannot be because I was able to execute a SIP REGISTER successfully. Can anyone give me suggestions what I might be doing wrong on the Symbian C++ side? Why does the JAIN SIP invite not reach the emulator but I am able to send invites from Symbian C++?

Has anyone encountered this problem before?

Regular Contributor

JAIN SIP Invite

This is what my JAIN SIP invite sends to the emulator thru the Nokia SIP Server emulator (also).

INVITE sip:ryan1@192.168.10.6:5060 SIP/2.0
    Call-ID: 55625ae61d3a83ca9ab275d38433d0ba@192.168.10.172
    CSeq: 1 INVITE
    To: "ryan1@realm" <sip:ryan1@realm>;tag=ryan1@realm
    Via: SIP/2.0/UDP 192.168.10.172:5064;branch=z9hG4bK764ff438a578ea3154cb6139c19116d1
    Max-Forwards: 70
    Content-Type: application/sdp
    Content-Length: 158

v=0
    o=ryan3 3331313696 3331313697 IN IP4 192.168.10.172
    s=SipSession
    c=IN IP4 192.168.10.172
    t=0 0
    m=application 5064 TCP application
    a=direction:both

The IP Address of the Symbian client is 192.168.10.6 while my JAIN SIP program uses the local address of 192.168.10.172. I did it this way because I was trying to replicate the Symbian C++ invite that I was receiving on the JAIN side of things.

Regular Contributor

Re: JAIN SIP and Symbian C++ SIP

Just to close this thread, I was able to make the SIP invite work but not using the emulator. I did it using the real IMS network of nokia that was setup here. The same code that does not work in the SIP emulator v3 works in the real environment.

Hi Rian,

What do you mean by real Nokia IMS, I mean can we test with real IMS platform or it's just for your private work?

Regards,
    Rami

Regular Contributor

Smile Re: JAIN SIP and Symbian C++ SIP

A telco here granted me access to an IMS network that was setup by Nokia and which had a SIP server running. I had a project that the telco was interested in and which does PC to phone communication. To test, the telco gave me special SIMs and access to their lab wherein I was able to debug using ethereal.

You can test with an IMS network if a telco grants you access to one. I also remember some Nokia Networks guy said that each network setup differs depending on the vendor. So it would always be better working with a real SIP server (preferrably implemented by Nokia of course). There are some things that might have been missed in an emulator setup. And, we might spend long hours in an emulator setup only to find out that it does not work in the IMS.

Now that you mention this, it might be a good suggestion for Nokia to provide an IMS lab wherein we could test stuff like SIP, VoIP, and any other related stuff.

Super Contributor

Hi,

interesting.. so if I understand you have kind of Java servlet based on JSR 125 running in Nokia IMS (I expect that this is application server using ISC interface) and you have remote access by connecting over GPRS/UMTS bearer using special Access point, so requests are forwarded from GGSN directly into Nokia lab...

Seems to be an interesting project, does it have a web page with more info? Basically you're right IMS systems differs little bit - it depends how the vendors understand the stadrards, but mostly it is problem of clients...

Bye
    STeN

Regular Contributor

Wink Re: JAIN SIP and Symbian C++ SIP

Hello Sten,

It was a Java app and not a servlet. Creating a servlet would be the next step which still depends on people above me. I am not sure if this is same as the SIP on JSR 125 but here is the JAIN SIP that I used http://www-x.antd.nist.gov/proj/iptel/. I had someone else at that time helping me with network stuff so I am not too familiar with the ISC. My Java app was connected directly to the network enabling it to have an IP address local the cell phone address when using those special SIMs. This project was something done internally for the telco so there are no web pages that describe it.

You are right about the SIP implementation being mostly a problem of clients. It was easier creating a working SIP invite using Symbian C++ for me than using JAIN SIP. One of my sources of error at that time was forgetting that there was a magic cookie number found in the branch tag of the Via Header when using JAIN SIP while Symbian C++ SIP objects automatically do that for you. In the emulator, you could put anything you want in the Via Header branch tag and it would work. Actually this is the reason why I mentioned that it would be better to test on the network rather than on the emulator.

JSR 125 is now officially canceled as of 14 Mar, 2006.
    http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=125

For working with a SIP server you should check out Ubiquity's. It's based on JSR 116 (SIP Servlet). Here you can get it for free and Eclipse development tools as well:
    https://developer.ubiquitysoftware.com

Enjoy!
    Emmanuel

Hi,
    I am new to Symbian. I am trying to send a invite request from the S60 emulator to Jain SIP application. It gives a 482 (Loop Detected ) error on the emulator. The S60 Emulator is registered, the Jain SIP application is also able to get 200 OK response from the S60 SIP Emulator server.But the invite from the S60 emulator is declined by the remote.

Kindly tell me where Iam going wrong.

Thanks in Advance.
    Monica

Regular Contributor

Wink Re: JAIN SIP and Symbian C++ SIP

Hello Monica,

It has been more than a year since I did that project but I remember encountering that error. Please check the following

1. Compare ethereal traces of JAIN SIP client and your emulator client

2. Make sure that the ip address of your emulator is different from that of the server. You can change this from the emulator menu somewhere

Sorry I cannot be of much help aside from the two I mentioned above!

Ryan

Hi Ryan,
    Thank You so much for the quick response. I was able to send the request from Symbian S60 Emulator to the Jain SIP application after changing the address, but I am not able to send a response back because my JAIN SIP invite header format is not proper, if you can help me out it would be great.

Thanks & Regards
    Monica

Hi all

I am looking for someone who can quickly develop a Symbian C++ SIP based application for making SIP calls through my VOIP server.

Please write to me at ceo@intecons.com with your expertise level, time needed and tentative price

Thanks

Ashwani