Discussion Board

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bluetooth PushRegistry

Hi,

I would like to know if the PushRegistry is implemented for the btspp protocol. So can a N6630 waked up by an incoming bluetooth connection.
    THX

Regular Contributor

Re: Bluetooth PushRegistry

Did you find an answer to this - can we just register a socketort for push registry notification could we register the port that btspp uses

Nokia Developer Champion

Nokia Series 60 Feature Pack 2: Yes; Nokia 6630, 6680, N70, N90, N91.

Nokia Developer Champion
    Well, but it does not work for me with my Nokia 6680 (Operator version E-Plus Germany with Firmware 2.04.15).

The UUID is registered via Push Registry dynamically in code. After quitting the MIDlet, my own Service Record is still visible. Another device looks up the UUID, connects and my MIDlet is started. Push Registry lists one incoming connection with input for my MIDlet. The String looks good. Great. But then I need to access this input. Pass this URI to Connector.open(…). Success but acceptAndOpen() hangs, because a new Service Record is created and it has a new RFCOMM channel. So the client is on another channel as my server listens. Interesting.

Any ideas or had someone success? Just a Works here would help already!

Tested from the MIDlet's Main thread, Nokia 6680's Event Dispatcher thread and of course as you should do from an own thread. Untrusted or trusted 3rd party domain: No change. A static Bluetooth server registration fails here, only dynamic works.

Please note that the user has to change the Bluetooth visibility herself via Nokia > Menu > Connectivity > Bluetooth > My phone's visibility > Shown to all. Even a trusted 3rd party domain MIDlet is not allowed to change visibility on a Nokia 6680. Just for those who go for a trusted MIDlet, paste the following to your MANIFEST.MF.
    Code:
    MIDlet-Permissions-Opt: javax.microedition.io.PushRegistry,javax.micro
     edition.io.Connector.bluetooth.server,javax.microedition.io.Connector
     .bluetooth.client
    All in one line with a limit of 72 characters per line (+space at beginning) as required. I go for optional permissions because I see no reason to require it. Just causes more problems although to require them works for the Nokia 6680. Make sure a (U)SIM is in the device otherwise the installation of a trusted MIDlet fails.
    Last edited by traud; 2005-10-21 at 14:29.

Thumbs down Re: Bluetooth PushRegistry

Hi Traud,

I'm testing this with the 6680 also, and I'm getting the exact same results as you. I'm a little disappointed because I got the 6680 for this particular reason - to get PushRegistry to work with Bluetooth.

- When the application launches and there is a connection registered in PushRegistry, a call to Connector.open with the same URL result in a new entry being added to the SDDB. From another device I can now observe two different entries in the SDDB with the same UUID, but with different channel numbers. When the application exits (and the notifier is cleaned up) there is only one entry in the SDDB. Now, if I connect to that one, the application will launch, but it is not possible to connect to the connection from inside the application, since the call to Connector.open does not recognize the URL and starts a new entry in the SDDB instead.

I can only conclude that the 6680 is broken. I hope this is not the case with newer Nokia devices.

For a decription on how the device should behave, take a look at "Series 60 Developer Platform 2.0" section 2.5.5.2.

Regards,

Svein Willassen

Nokia Developer Champion
    Thanks for pointing me to this document. Very interesting but buggy and rather old (January of 2004). I found a newer one (October of 2005).
    Quote Originally Posted by Series 60 Platform 2nd/3rd Edition: Differences In Features: Chapter 5.8.2
    Series 60 Platform 2nd Edition, Feature Pack 2 introduced support for Bluetooth Push, which means that a device is capable of launching applications triggered by receiving Bluetooth indications from an external source.
    It does not say connections. Sounds like you can use Bluetooth Push only for starting, then the device with the Service Record proceeds as Bluetooth master/Service client and starts a connection itself and searches for a Bluetooth slave/Service server.

Interesting.

What do you mean with 3rd Edition here?

Developer Platform 3.0 or
    Developer Platform 2.0 Feature Pack 3

As far as I know, 6680 is 2.0 FP2, whereas N70 for example is 2.0 FP3.

Svein

Nokia Developer Champion
    Pardon?
    Nokia 6680 is 2nd Edition Feature Pack 2, N70 is 2nd Edition Feature Pack 3, N91 and the new E series is 3rd Edition.

Nokia Developer Champion
    Anyone with success?
    Even tried with btspp://<bd_addr>:<channel id> and bd_addr set to the result of *#2820#. Same as before, in PushRegistry.registerConnection(…) silly new service records are created and in Connector.Open(…) I get Symbian OS error -6452.

Nokia Developer Champion
    Works as intended in 3rd Edition of Nokia Series 60. Tested with a Nokia 3250.

This beast even allows a lot of Bluetooth piconet/scatternet scenarios. At least all I tested, however, I did not test all. Nevertheless, although the device states it has no Master/Slave-Switch support, it has. This is like most (all) JSR-82 devices I found so far. Is there any device which does not support Master/Slave-Switch at all? More and more I doubt on that. My conclusion is never to trust the reported bluetooth.master.switch value.

The Push Registry support is great in (my) Nokia Series 60 3rd Edition:
    Alarm, Bluetooth (RFCOMM, L2CAP, OBEX), Datagram, Socket, SMS, CBS, MMS and SIP. Only OBEX via TCP and via IrDA is missing. Well, the latter is not possible because my Nokia 3250 has no IrDA at all.

Question remains, when was this fixed? In 2nd Edition Feature Pack 3 or even in Feature Pack 2 through a firmware update?

That's great, looking forward to test it.

What kind of application are you developing by the way?

sventy

Nokia Developer Champion
    This works even after restarting the phone. However, sometimes the profile is missing. I have not been able to reproduce this, yet.

Anyway, service record editing does not work. I follow the rules of the above S60 document and the JSR-82 specification in version 1.1. On Nokia 3250 I get a new service record created which I can edit successfully. Has anyone got this working?

Regular Contributor

Hey guys. I'm just wondering what bluetooth url you use to register with push registry?
    re: Sventy - I created a bluetooth server for a 6680 and it keeps returning the same btspp url . I dont know if this is good or bad as i'm still in the early stages.

Right now i've been able to consistently get the same bluetooth url returned via service-discovery of btspp://0015A04A2139:4;encrypt..

I'm just wondering to register with the push-registry.. what do you put? (Anyone?!):
    like MIDlet Push-1: btspp://0015A04A2139, bt.BTMIDlet, * ?
    or btspp://0015A04A2139:*
    or btspp://localhost:* ???!? ?!?! i have no idea!!

Nokia Developer Champion
    Have a look at the Bluetooth API for Java (JSR-82) in version 1.1 …

It is the same string as with Connector.open(…) for registering a Bluetooth server. Additionally, I would gor for dynamic and not static Push Registry.

Regular Contributor

Hi Sventy - I have the EXACT same problem. I can start the other application via bluetooth, I register the connection dynamically too as traud said. It starts up but the connection doesn't happen. I can only imagine that the application launched gets a new URL instead of the previous one registered to the push-registry.

Therefore the connection isn't made even if the application is started up!
    6680 is broken all =)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast