Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Programming with Nokia Developer's Suite for J2ME

J2ME-JTAPI-SMS?
    1. Does J2ME support JTAPI?
    2. Is it possible now or in the close future to send/receive SMS from J2ME application on a Nokia phone.

Regular Contributor

RE: Programming with Nokia Developer's Suite for J2ME

1. J2ME/MIDP doesn't support JTAPI. . A subset of JTAPI is supported in 9210 via it's JavaPhone implementation. See JavaPhone spec for which interfaces of Mobile packages are supported in JavaPhone implementation and which are optional. For more details you should refer to JavaPhone specification and specific implementation details are found in Symbian JavaPhone implementation documents.

2. At the moment it is not possible to send or receive short messages from J2ME application. Nokia are currently considering extentions to the MIDP standard for first our products. Details of any such extentions would be made available via Forum Nokia at the earliest possible date. Nokia is very committed to open standards. Nokia will support JCP specifications when there will be appropriate and finalized APIs available from that work. Currently we are active, for example, in MIDP NG and CLDC NG specification work.