Discussion Board

Question Accelerated OpenGL ES?

Hi forum!

I've just spent a couple of days porting my old OpenGL 3D engine to OpenGL ES (Common Profile v1.0 and v1.1). I now wonder which phone models have good support for GLES, especially models that provide som HW acceleration and don't implement the whole thing is SW...
    I have not developed for mobile devices before but it seems Series 60 models are what I'm looking for?

Mats

Regular Contributor
    I would say the Nokia 6630 or 6680 are what you are after.

Hmmm... yes, I've been looking at those models.
    Any idea if those have native support for floating point (float) or if its totally emulated?

Regular Contributor
    I'm not sure about that sorry...

Regular Contributor

Re: Accelerated OpenGL ES?

non of the phones available in the market, other than Sony Ericsson W900, support 3D graphics in HW. All support it in SW. 6630 is the first to support OpenGL ES and M3G in SW. you are not advised to use floating point arithmatic for mobile dev since it is as well implemented in SW. no HW acceleration. to get over that, u need to use fixed-point instead. i know it might look disappointing for u to change ur engine from floating base to fixed, but thats the mobile fate at the mean time. we believe it will chnage in the future.

Best
    Abolfoooud