Discussion Board

6681 free RAM problems.

Hi All,

I had just recently bought a 6681 to replace a 6630 and I was informed their specs are nearly the same.

I main beef is that the free RAM is far lower than 6630 (or 6680 for that matter). Why is this so? Note this is not memory Card space or local phone (flash) memory. This is operating memory RAM. (Sorry to explain too much, but the service center seriously cannot understand this simple concept)

My old 6630 had 8100KB free memory (I use Fexplorer and read the top most item above C: It’s listed as FreeMem) My 6681 is showing 6300KB after a reboot. Why is this so? I was under the impression both 6630 and 6681 has 20MB of total RAM. They should have roughly the same amount of RAM free.

Also I'm suspecting a hardware problem but the shop refuses to admit anything. The 6680 which nearly identical (maybe supposed to have 2MB more flash memory C: ) also has more free RAM. I ran Fexplorer on that phone at the shop at it showed ~ 8052KB. The nearly 2 MBs difference is, I believe, causing a lot of problems. I often get Memory Full error when running apps. I find that unacceptable.

Is there an application that can show how much real RAM is installed on the phone? I'd like to know whether I have a defective unit. It seems the service center in Malaysia doesn’t know anything. The only they seem to be able to understand is whether the phone can make or receive phone calls.

I've tried a hard reset by using code (*#7370#). This doesn’t seem to work. It did clear my phone book.

I found on another website to:-

Switch off the phone.
    1.Hold down the following three buttons: Green (call answer) button, * button, and '3' button
    2.While holding these buttons, press the power button and switch on the phone
    3.When the message 'Formatting' appears on the screen, release all of the buttons

This, while very difficult to pull off, seemed to work. I think. Most apps seems missing however the Free RAM is still the same.

I did *#0000# and got the following:-
    V 3.10.6
    11-04-05
    RM -57
    I'm hopping there's an updated ROM to fix this problem but I'm not too sure.

If anyone has any ideas, please post it. Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: 6681 free RAM problems.

Well, the service centre will always try to ask you to leave the phone with out power and battery for a while... I have no idea for what reason...

You are not the first to experience the problem, our Singapore sets are having the same problems as well, even including problems like memory got reset or erased for no reason and so on. Camera Flash not firing when it is set to ON.

All I can say is, Nokia is not interested in their customer or products that they sell, they only interested to make more $$ and that is about it. Note that the mentioned problems still exist even with the update of softwares to v4++ for 6680.

After all that you have experienced, don't you think it is time that you switch brand? For the price that you apy for a 6680, you must as well get a PDA phone which is so much useful.

Mind you, Nokia's claimed that we will not lose any moments with the new N70 or 6680, as the phone is armed with a good camera, well, think about it. You slide down the cover, took the picture, and only you know is, that it just show a "Memory Full. Please close applications and try again." which left you with no choice but to restarts the phone.

I have been restarting the phone for a few times in a day, it is a must. I will suffer this till I get a better phone from other companies....

Re: 6681 free RAM problems.

Actually the main reasons why I changed to nokia from a smartphone (M$ Smartphone) is because of support for Java & better camera. Nearly all M$ phones have ultra sucky camera... Which is sad.

At least their starting to be smarter with the N70. Its OS V9. And has 48MB RAM I think... not too sure but after using a bit it's still has 29MB free.... not bad. Most M$ phones only come with 32MB RAM. Unless you're talking about PDA phones... but those cost way more and use stylus. But are unfortunately bigger which I don't favour.

Hopefully next year brings better models... at more reasonable prices.

Wink Re: 6681 free RAM problems.

Interesting. I don't know how could I increase the capacity of ram but i know another software "System explorer" that will show u complete specification of 6680. I'm also trying to find a way to increase ram though pagefiles. do anyone know about it..
    plzzz Reply to
    E-mail : dearestflower@yahoo.com or forum