What is the technology that is being used by browser to fetch data from server. What protocol it is using. TCP or WAP Stack. Socket Programming???

When a browser is able to access a file that is uploaded to a server irrespective of type of access point(WAP only access point or full pledged internet access point of GPRS) why can't we do the same through our own application using sockets or HTTP (In 2.1 SDK) (I may be wrong at this point. I feel it can be done by us programmatically and May be I don't know how to do it)

To get some data from server , there are lot of problems i faced with WAP Stack. (Using HTTP protocol WSP in 2.1 and directly WAP Stack in 1.2 SDK).The application i developed is working in one 6600 and not working in other 6600 phone with different firm ware. In 6670 it is not working at all. In NOKIA 6630,6680 WAP STACK itself is not there(May be depricated).

The same i can do with sockets(and I did it also). but most of the operators are not accepting TCP requests on normal access point as they can earn more if people take full pledged internet access point.
TO CAPTURE MORE MARKET FOR ANY APPLICATIONS WE NEED TO DO SOME THING ON NORMAL WAP ACCESS POINT ONLY.

Can Please some one give me some pointers to achieve this like how browser is able to fetch the data from server. Which protocol browser is using.

Regards,
SSS