Discussion Board

Where does .sis file install the application on Nokia7650.

I used makesis utility to make "HelloWorld.sis" using "HelloWorld.pkg". And then ported it over to Nokia7650 and installed it there. It shows that the installation was completed but I can't see any such application in the "Extras". Could you tell me where is the application installed.

Here is more information as to how did I do it:
    I used the example "HelloWorld" from Symbian at <path>\Symbian\6.1\Series60\Epoc32Ex\ToolsAndUtilities and there are a few examples for HelloWorld application. I used the simplest one.
    HelloWorld.pkg ? Demonstrates the most basic Installation File Generator functionality.
    And now after getting the HelloWorld.sis file, I transferred the file to Nokia7650 via Bluetooth. So this file comes to the phone as a message and when I open the message, it would start installing the application for me. But after the installation is complete, I can't see this new application "helloworld" on the phone.
    Could you tell me where did I go wrong ??
    Thanks
    Vivek Chopra
    vivek_ntu@hotmail.com

Regular Contributor

RE: Where does .sis file install the application on Nokia7650.

Hi,

The Helloworld.app and Helloworld.rsc files in the \Epoc32Ex\ToolsAndUtilities directory are only for demonstrating the creation of .sis packages. In fact they are compiled for the WINS emulator, so they will not work in the actual device, even if they install ok.

You can try to build some of the examples on the SDK for the device, and then to create a .pkg file for them, or to use the Sisar utility. For more information, see the topics "Building and running the SDK examples" and "SIS File Creator Guide" in the SDK Help.

Regards,
    FN Developer Support

RE: Where does .sis file install the application on Nokia7650.

I am having the exact same problem. I have developed my Series 60 app and got it running on the emulator, successfully created a .sis file and installed it on my 7650 but I can't find it to run it.

The manager application says it is there and allows me to remove it but I can't find it anywhere in the menus of the 7650 to run it.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Regards
    Kevin Dinn