Discussion Board

Access to Streaming Camera Data?

I know that by using a VideoControl object, I can use getSnapshot to take pictures, which I can then analyze and use as I wish.

I would like to go one step better and find a way to work with the data as it streams in from the camera. Since the VideoControl object is capable of displaying a live feed right on the phone's screen, we know that the data is there for the taking. It's just a matter of accessing it, and in an understandable format.

Is this possible? Thank you...

Nokia Developer Expert
    The video data stream can be recorded by RecordControl and then, in theory, you could access the data as it comes out of the system. Unfortunately, the implementations don't give any data out before committing the recording.

What kind of application you have in mind?

Thanks for your reply.

Originally posted by rantalah
    The video data stream can be recorded by RecordControl and then, in theory, you could access the data as it comes out of the system. Unfortunately, the implementations don't give any data out before committing the recording.
    Could you clarify what you mean by "committing" the recording? Do you mean that once I start my recording, I can work with the live incoming video, or do you mean the recording must reach it's conclusion before I can go back and work with it?

What kind of application you have in mind?
    I am sorry that I'm not at liberty to say. It's nothing personal, I assure you, as I appreciate your response. I'm working for somebody else.

Nokia Developer Expert
    Originally posted by Gergall
    Thanks for your reply.

Could you clarify what you mean by "committing" the recording? Do you mean that once I start my recording, I can work with the live incoming video, or do you mean the recording must reach it's conclusion before I can go back and work with it?
    The latter. When the recording stops, the media file is generated and becomes available for the application.

Notice that this can vary between different formats and implementations so in theory it's possible that data is written to OutputStrem already when the recording is taking place.

Thank you very much for the info. It's certainly something I'll be looking into.

If anyone reading this has any additional information, I'd appreciate that as well.

Regular Contributor
    Regarding using the RecordControl to record video content using the wireless toolkit 2.2, i get a null pointer exception. This will not happen if i change the locator from "capture://video" to "capture://audio".May i know where i have done wrong?

Thanks a lot.