Discussion Board

Problem connecting to multiple access points on 3G phones

I have an application permanently connected to a server over GPRS using an Internet Access Point. I would like the user to be able to have my app running and still be able to use other data services like browsing the Internet or sending MMS even with different Access points.

If my phone is in 3G mode and I attempt to use the web browser using another access point, I get the message "Max. number of connections in use. Close an active connection first". And I need to diconnect the active connection (my app) before I can browse.
    This is happening on Nokia 6630 and 6680 phones.

This problem does not occur if I switch the phones (Nokia 6630 and 6680)t o GSM mode only, neither does it occur on non 3G phones that support multihoming.

Is it not possible to connect to multiple access points while in 3G mode or am I doing something wrong?

Thank you

Regular Contributor

Smile Re: Problem connecting to multiple access points on 3G phones

Hi,

I am experimenting the same scenario. My phone is permanently connected to a server and at the same time the application might send a MMS or download a file from other server. But when I try open a secon PDP context, the mentioned message appears "Max. number of connections in use. Close an active connection first (-6000)".

In my case, I am using a Nokia 6680 and I am in 3G mode. However, when I swap to a GPRS mode, it works smoothly. Although, i have seen in some situations appearing the same meesage also in GPRS.

Could you please give me any feedback about your research?

Thanks in advance,

Fernando

Re: Problem connecting to multiple access points on 3G phones

From talking to an operator I believe that this is a restriction imposed by them - bad luck!
    Don't stay connected all the time.

Tim