Discussion Board

Question Debugging on phone / .sym file question

Hi,

I recently purchased CodeWarrior Pro for the purpose of debugging an application on the phone.

The application I am trying to debug is two parts: an APP and an EXE. The APP is built with the CodeWarrior GUI and the EXE is built from the command line. I have a .sym file for both and the source code for the APP shows up in the debugger, but when I attach to the EXE process I can not see the source code.

My question is this: How do I associate the .sym file for the EXE when I attach to the process?

Thanks,
    -Marc

Nokia Developer Expert
    Try this:

1) Find said .sym file under udeb folder
    2) Drag and drop onto IDE (Symbolics window will appear)
    3) Set breakpoints in sources in Symbolics window.
    4) start debugger.

Do breaks get hit?

Tim

Thanks for your reply. I have tried setting breakpoints in the .exe symbolics window, but the never hit. I can hit breakpoints in the .app (which I have built from CodeWarrior), just not in the .exe.

I have followed the steps listed in the CodeWarrior documentation as well, but nothing seems to work.

Thanks,
    -Marc

Anyone from Nokia care to comment? The CodeWarrior documentation says that this is supported, and it is the only reason I purchased the Professional version.

Nokia Developer Expert
    I spoke with someone that know more about this than me....
    When attacing the a process running from RAM, the address space for the process is not known to CW..
    If the same process is running in ROM, then it would work.

For the user to debug the exe, he would have to debug the exe directly.
    So you should import the project and debug it from there.

Tim

Tim, thanks for the reply.

The .exe I am trying to debug was not built with a CW project. I guess that it might work from CW, so I created a project and imported the source and libraries and tried debugging directly from a CW build which caused other problems on the phone. The .exe uses audio streaming APIs, which panic for some reason using the debugger, but work fine without the debugger.