Discussion Board

Please respond! (N7650 RAS Connectivity)

Dear Nokia Software Developers,

I'm about to give up my efforts at using the N7650 as a development platform...

After weeks of trying to get the N7650 emulator to work with a RAS connection, I haven't succeded...

I've contacted Nokia support a couple of times, they have given me a new cdbv2.dat file, but they can't understand what I'm doing wrong. Well, me neither...

After reading through the posts in these forums, I think I can say that I'm not the only one with problems. Actually there seems to be only one person who got it working...

* So PLEASE, post a comment/reply to this thread about your experiences with the RAS issue. Both those who have succeded and those who have not! *

Maybe Nokia will listen and agree that there is something wrong with their implementation!

Best Regards,
    Patrik Strmstedt
    Digital Studion
    patrik@digstud.se

Nokia Developer Expert

RE: Please respond! (N7650 RAS Connectivity)

Hi developers,

Connecting an emulator to the Windows NT RAS server requires a system setting. The environment that each developer is working on can vary from one another and the proplem with getting connection can largely range from the speed to a wrong cable and so... We have provided some guideline on how to configurate the system, but your particular environment information is critical for diagnosing the problem.

Just some simple description such as my N7650 emulator does not get a RAS connection ... is not enough for finding any answer for it.

Please specify as much as possible about your system and all steps you have tried.

Regards,
    FN Developer Support

Hi,

I also have the same problem.

Is there a way to get that working file?

Thanks

I'm also not been able to set up a RAS PPP connection with the Nokia 7650 emulator (null modem cable), although it worked fine on my Nokia 9210 emulator. I did the same steps as described in the document "Setup Connection between Nokia 9210 emulator & NT RAS Server" version 1.0 (08-08-2001).

When I'm trying to connect with an application, I can select the correct Access Point, in my case "RAS PPP". But it seems the Nokia 7650 emulator is not using the script to connect to the RAS server, although "Use script" is set to "Yes". Instead of sending the string "CLIENT" it sends "ATH" all the time.

Anybody who knows why it is doing this?

PS: Copying the Nokia 9210 emulator file cdbv2.dat to the Nokia 7650 emulator won't work! (Probably because fields are missing)

Regular Contributor

Hello,

I'm also developing network-application and haven't even tried to initiate cable->RAS in XP-platform once I read how difficult it is. I have to develope all my internet code blinded and test it in the real device.

I read somewhere that Nokia is trying to include internet-connectivity directly to the emulator in final SDK. How is this proceeding? Can you do it? That's the way it should work.

ps. "They" got it to work in PocketPC 2002 & Smartphone 2002 SDK's without any cable-kludge. So I suppose it should be possible ;)

Is it a problem if I connect with a serial modem instead?
    Please advise

I got the default cdbv2.dat to work after finding a program called RasConfigure from Symbian devnet. Actually the default program didn't work as such, but I took the part that wrote the new init script to the db and set the rest manually with setupcomms.bat. I can send you the hacked source if you want. Mail me at jarno.paananen@ionific.com.

This issue is now resolved thanks to David Jacobson at Degel Software. Check another post in this group called:

Get RAS working with N7650 (download link inside message)

Or go to: http://www.digstud.se (Symbian) to download an updated cdbv2.dat file.

/Patrik