Discussion Board

Lightbulb nokia phone that can display chinese in sms can display chinese in j2me ?

I have a question...
    When a nokia phone that can display chinese in sms imply that it can als display chinese in j2me ? Because I thought that the chinese font might have built into handphone ... Because in Singapore, I have seen ppl buying english handphone but able to display chinese sms though the interface is all english .... They did not buy pure chinese version of the handphone...

Can someone enlightened me in this area ??

thank

Re: nokia phone that can display chinese in sms can display chinese in j2me ?

I think it can display chinese in j2me if it can display it in sms. You can wirte a simple app to test.

Yes,for I live in china!

J2me uses Unicode strings. Therefore the only requirement to write a String with Chinese characters is that the phone Fonts have the glyphs for these characters (the Unicode set is vast and the phone software cannot have every character glyph in its ROM)

If as you claim your phone does contain Chinese glyphs then a simple g.StringWrite(string,....) will do the job (where g is your paint()'s Graphic handle)

Which character glyphs are contained on the phone depends on the area where it is marketed. Here in Europe for example the Unicode characters for all European languages are typically available in the handset.