Discussion Board

Unhappy Security Exception on a Bluetooth SPP connection between a Nokia 6230 and a GPS

Hi there
    I'm trying to communicate a Nokia 6230 with a GPS receiver using bluetooth. The GPS offers a serial port service (UUID 0x1101).
    I'm using the Nokia example java program bpsppEcho. So I modified the UUID number to 0x1101, in order to be able to discover the service. Also I had to change the validation part on the server module that check if the device discovered is a phone cause the GPS receiver is obviously not a phone.
    I'm able to find the device and the service, the problem comes when I try to open the connection, The phone asks por the authentication code so I type 1111 which is the authentication code for pairing with this GPS receiver, right after that a window appears saying that the connection will be rejected because of a security problem. And I can see some IOException=null on the log of the application. The athentication code is correct cause I can connect the GPS receiver to my PC without problems. Also if I write a wrong code the window appears indicating that the pairing was unsuccesful. I debugged the code to find where exactly the problem is happening and it is in the ServerConnectionHandler class on line 219 :

connection = (StreamConnection) Connector.open(url);

the url extracted from the service record looks like this:

"btspp://00803714b602:1;master=false;authenticate=true;encrypt=false;authorization=false"

So I went to the config menu and get in the paired devices options, I start a search for nearby devices. Same thing happened, I saw my GPS receiver and when I press connect, I'm asked for the authentication code, as soon as I type it and accept, the same window appears saying that there was a security problem and the connection is rejected.
    So here's the question for the Nokia expert or any one who had succeded opening an SPP conection with the Nokia 6230:
    Are the generic devices services some how locked on the Nokia 6230?
    Is there a way to register this service or my application so the Phone doesn't reject it?

Please help

Xavier

Re: Security Exception on a Bluetooth SPP connection between a Nokia 6230 and a GPS

Quote Originally Posted by xavoton
    the url extracted from the service record looks like this:
    "btspp://00803714b602:1;master=false;authenticate=true;encrypt=false;authorization=false"
    Xavier
    Hi,
    what will happen when you would try only this for open the btssp connection?
    Code:
     "btspp://00803714B602:1"
    If you have already pared the mobile phone with the GPS reciver, you dont need to type the PIN again.
    See for this on your mobile under "connection" -> "bluetooth" -> paired devices.

ciao

Re: Security Exception on a Bluetooth SPP connection between a Nokia 6230 and a GPS

I guess that is the problem, the pairing is not being acomplished, cause the GPS never gets to appear on the paired devices list
    I already tried that but it doesn't work either.
    Although the message I receive when I use a wrong code is different that the message I receive when it is right. When it is wrong the phone says so, but when it is right it says a "security problem has occured and the connection will be closed". Like if somehow the device or the service were blocked in the internal firmware.

Actually is the same problem the guys with the iPAQS are having.
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...ad.php?t=55765

"rejected for security reasons" thats the exact message I get

Unhappy Re: Security Exception on a Bluetooth SPP connection between a Nokia 6230 and a GPS

Are you trying to use Falcom NAVI-1 bluetooth GPS? I was and got same errors. GPS works perfectly with other devices than Nokia 6230 and Nokia 6230i. Updated 6230i firmware from 3.42 to 3.50, no difference with GPS connection. Asked support from Falcom. They said that there seems to be some kind of communication problem exactly with Falcom NAVI-1 and Nokia 6230/6230i. Their newer NAVI-XT GPS doesn't have such problem. Strange, but both devices, either Nokia and Falcom seems to have bluetooth certifications available. This NAVI-1 works great with other GSM phones (SonyEricsson, Siemens, etc) and also Nokia 6230i works good with Globalsat GPS.

just put the authenticate option to false, I used the NAVI-BH.
    Hope this works for you.

Regards

Xavier