Discussion Board

error while building a sample application for series 60 sdk 2.1 for symbian OS

Hi all..

i am interested in building an application for series 60 sdk 2.1 for symbian OS supporting Microsoft Visual c++ .NET i have downloaded the required software but i have a problem running a sample application ( "Helloworldbasic" application). there was an error with 'build solution' which states:

error: a tool returned an error code from "Building resources from Helloworldbasic.rss"
    'nmake' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

can anyone help me out from overcoming this error.

Thanks in advance
    Deepthi.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: error while building a sample application for series 60 sdk 2.1 for symbian OS

you should check that your environment variables are set correctly. With VC6 at least they were set automatically during installation, if you just remembered to tick the box for it.

yucca

Super Contributor

Re: error while building a sample application for series 60 sdk 2.1 for symbian OS

Hello,

From your post it is not clear that you would be using NDS, but from the error that seems to be the case.

Assuming that you are using NDS, then NDS only supports full Visual Studio, not Visual C++ .NET so there is no guarantee that this can be made to work.

However from the error it seems that the concrete problem is that there is no valid path to NMAKE. In Visual Studio, NMAKE can be found in
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Vc7\bin

and there should be a path variable set if Tools -> Options -> Project -> VC++ directories that point to that directory. If you can find the same information for VC++, then you can always give it a try.

Hi mitts n symbianyucca,

Thanku for your response. let me tell the softwares i downloaded:
    java - j2re1.4.2_09
    activeperl - 5.8.7
    SDK - 2.1 (series 60)
    NDS - v1.1
    in the same order

As mitts suggested me to check the 'nmake' path variable set in Tools->options->project->vc++ directories, i found that the path was not included in the executable directories. so i included the path myself n ran the application but the build was unsuccessful, there was an error message window stating:

cl.exe - unable to locate component
    This application has failed to start because mspdb71.dll was not found.Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.
    OK

i pressed OK and noticed an error in the output window which says: " error result returned from 'cl.exe'." cl.exe is also present in the bin folder as 'nmake'.
    what might be the error and is there a means to overcome it.

Symbianyucca, u asked me to check the environment settings.. can u be more clear about what all should be checked..

Thanku
    Deepthi.

Hi

i tried adding 'mspdb71.dll' to the vc++ directories present in Tools->options->project and got the buils solution done successfully and started debugging by debug->start. the emulator didnot display anything. in the output window it gives ' no symbols loaded' from epoc.exe repeatedly..
    i dont know whether this might be the problem or someother thing. if it is..
    how can i load symbols so that my application can be viewed on the emulator?

Thanku
    Deepthi.

Can you build the example using dos and tools like bldmake and abld. Then see whether your application is visible in emulator.
    Thanks,

Super Contributor

Deepthis,

The message about missing symbols is OK. When the emulator starts up the initial emulator application does not provide debug info (you cannot debug the emulator itself). Just continue and you should be able to get access to the code once you start up the application from the emulator user interface.