Discussion Board

Web Browsing on Nokia 9300 Communicator

Hi all

I started my thread at Symbian C++. Then I noticed I entered wrong thread since I want to develop my project using Java.

Let me explain once again about my project. I am developing an application that enables website to be viewed on nokia 9300 communicator. The website written in PHP.

IS IT POSSIBLE TO DIRECTLY VIEWED OR BROWSE A WEBSITE (IN PHP) WHICH HOSTED AT OPEN SOURCE ENVIRONMENT? IF SO, WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS NEEDED TO MAKE IT POSSIBLE?

IF IT IS NOT SO, THEN SHOULD I REBUILD THE WEBSITE? DO I NEED TO CONVERT IT TO XHTML FORMAT SO THAT IT CAN BE VIEWED VIA COMMUNICATOR? OR SHOULD I REWRITE THE CODE IN JSP OR SERVLETS OR ELSE?

If anyone interested to see my PHP coding, I will post it here later.

I am using J2SDK SE 1.4.1_09, Sun Java Wireless Toolkit 2.2 & J2ME MIDP 2.0.

I was developing my mobile applications in Windows environment. When completed, it will be hosted to Linux webserver because this system will be runned on open source environment.

SINCE BROWSING THROUGH COMMUNICATOR DIFFER FROM NORMAL DESKTOP PC, WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS NEEDED TO HOST MY WEBSITE AT WEBSERVER? ALL THE DATAS ARE STORED IN MYSQL 4.0 DATABASE. MY WEBSERVER SPECIFICATIONS ARE:
    - OS --> NOVELL OES SP1
    - DELL 1850 DUAL PROCESSOR
    - 2 GB SDRAM
    - 73X2 GB HARDDISK

I really really hope for any HELP from anyone...
    Thanks a lot.

Super Contributor

Re: Web Browsing on Nokia 9300 Communicator

Your question doesn't seem to have anything to do with either C++ or Java programming on the 9300. Or am I missing something?

The 9300 has a built-in web browser (technology based on Opera) that you can use to access web and WAP sites.

All you really need to be careful with on your web site is not to embedded Java applets, Microsoft ActiveX controls, or too new releases of Macromedia Flash, etc. Neither is it a good idea to use large graphics files, design the pages for fixed display resolutions, etc.

Whatever tools and applications you use on the server side to generate the pages does not matter at all, if you just design your web page output to be good HTML with CSS that's designed to be used on any resolution, a 9300 user should be fine. JavaScript will also be OK as long as you don't rely on browser-specific features and quirks.

Quote Originally Posted by petrib
    Your question doesn't seem to have anything to do with either C++ or Java programming on the 9300.
    In my case, I don't have to consider Java or J2ME?? If I don't have to, so what is J2ME MIDP for?

Whatever tools and applications you use on the server side to generate the pages does not matter at all, if you just design your web page output to be good HTML with CSS that's designed to be used on any resolution, a 9300 user should be fine. JavaScript will also be OK as long as you don't rely on browser-specific features and quirks.
    Can I just convert PHP to XHTML?, so that my website can be viewed by communicator? I want to convert it to XHTML because I noticed 9300 supported this markup language.

How to convert PHP to XHTML? Could you suggest me some links or URLs on how to so?

How to access to the internet from communicator? Do we have to create an icon or just type the URL?

Super Contributor

J2ME/MIDP you'd consider if you were writing an application to run on the phone. It is meaningless if your solution is server-based and intended to be used with a browser.

And, you can generate XHTML from PHP in the exact same way you'd generate HTML from PHP. No difference in the mechanism. The only difference is that you must understand the format/syntax differences when you write your PHP scripts.

The phone can handle also HTML (so it doesn't need to be XHTML).

For the HTML and XHTML differences, consult the specifications on http://www.w3c.org (World Wide Web Consortium), or search for tutorials on the net, or books in your nearest bookstore.

To access Internet from the Communicator, all you need is to order the GPRS Internet Access Point settings from your network operator (or from Nokia's settings page http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,,71993,00.html). Then make sure that the Internet Access Point is the default for the browser. See the phone's User's Guide for details.

What is the editor or IDE should I use? Is Nokia Mobile Internet Toolkit (NMIT) the right one?As I know, NMIT is for Series 60. But 9300 using series 80. Can we develop first in series 60 and then port it into series 80? I found 'Series 80 Developer Platform: Porting From Series 60 (With Example)' article in http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/0,6566,010_50,00.html. Is it easy to do so?

If NMIT is the right choice, what are the tools or anything else needed? I've installed NMIT. When I try to run the sample included in this IDE, it mentioned that no SDK is running! I know that my installation is not complete yet...I think there's some other tools are required. Please...anyone HELP me!!!

Super Contributor

Your posts seem to be quite contradictory, so please could you clarify a couple of things:

#1: Are you, or are you not, trying to create a server-based application that will run on a server on the Internet & which you want to access from a 9300/9500 using the phone's built-in web browser?

#2: Are you, or are you not, trying to create a phone-based application that will run on the phone, to do whatever it is that you are trying to do?

If your answer to #1 is that are trying to do a server-based application, then pick any IDE you like to use (any IDE you know or any IDE you want to learn) that is suitable for your server-side software development depending on what platform you pick. That the client device happens to be a browser on a phone has no bearing on what tools you use on the server side (only thing is to to do good device-independent web page design and do not use technologies such as Flash, J2SE Java applets, ActiveX, etc., which may not apply to all users and browsers).

For that you don't need to pick any Series 60 or Series 80 SDK or tools, if you are not developing applications to actually install and run on the phone.

If you, instead (or in addition to), of a server based application (as per question #2) are attempting to create a phone based application to install and run on the phone, only then do you need to start picking suitable phone SDKs and IDEs, etc. And then, if you want to write a phone based application, then start with Series 80 SDKs and tools, not Series 60.