Discussion Board

Unable to download J2ME apps on Nokia 3586i

Hi all,
    I have a Nokia 3586i (SW VD126V0602.nep) with MTS mobility as my provider. Whenever I try to download java apps, my phone locks up; The JAD file downloads fine, but when it goes to download the JAR, the progress indicator does keep moving, but there's no phone icon to show I'm connected and the little openwave globe icon does not spin. Furthermore, the Cancel button does not work, and the power button does not either; I have to pop the battery out to reset my phone!
    I've tried this both through my provider's gateway, Openwave's developer gateway and a Now.WAP gateway installed on my PC. I've edited JAD files, tried different hosts for the JARs and pretty much anything of that sort. Checking the logs on my gateway shows that the phone is not actually sending a request for the JAR; there's no activity after the JAD download.
    I know my provider isn't blocking the JAR files from the logs on my WAP gateway; if I try to directly load the JAR file, the phone does recieve it, but the onboard browser doesn't recognize the application/java-archive mimetype.
    Does anybody have any idea what the problem is here? I know it's not a problem with the hosts serving the JAR files, my provider seems to be allowing the transfer of the files and the problem is occuring regardless of the gateway I use.... help please!

-Matt

Regular Contributor

Re: Unable to download J2ME apps on Nokia 3586i

Did your provide set the right MIME-Types for Jar and Jad files?
    Are you using proper GPRS settings in your phone?
    Can you reach other wap or http pages?

Please post the link.

The MIME types are definately set properly on my server; I've also tried it on third party servers, but to no avail. The phone is a CDMA 1x model, not GPRS afaik.
    I have no trouble browsing wap pages or even pulling the JAR down directly; the phone is simply not making a request for the JAR during the install process (I have my own WAP gateway and can view both its logs and the webserver logs)
    This isn't just happening with one particular app; this is happening with everything, even freeware apps on the web. At first I thought it was a WTP-SAR issue, but I can pull the JAR file if I browse to it directly; my phone simply can't install it without the JAD, and locks up if it tries to download the JAR from the reference in the JAD.

Regular Contributor

Hmm, sounds bad.
    I don't know what to do else...
    Did you use an absolute URL in the jad file? (But I think you did...)
    Maybe your phone's firmware is buggy? (Thats the reason for any error ;-)
    Sorry I got no idea. If you tried to download MIDlets(jads) that are working for others it must be something with your phone...
    Please post if you have a solution or further info.

*edit*
    Hey one idea but it's rather unlikely...
    When you edited your jad did you finish the last line with a linebreak?
    If there is no linebreak the jar-packager doesn't include it(the last line) so the phone misses some important info.
    *edit*
    Last edited by Leicester22; 2005-09-11 at 15:32.