Discussion Board

Thread: WML Browser

WML Browser

Hi

I want to start making my site readable in mobile phone and have been doing some 'googling' about WML and WMLScript for WAP.

1. I dont have WAP enabled phone. So how else can I test my WML pages when I write them ? Would I be able to use any Nokia emulator that comes with the SDK ? Say Nokia Development Suite for J2ME 3.0.1 ? (nds_jme_v3_0_1.zip)

2. I was going though another forum where someone mentioned 'WAP is almost dead'. Is that possible ? I thought most mobile phones only understood WML content as it cannot render HTML. Is WAP is dying, then whats coming up ? xHTML ? But I understand only a few SamrtPhones can recognize that format.

I would appreciate it if someone gave me a head start on how to make my site mobile-readable.

Thanks

Re: WML Browser

Hi,

1. Yes you can test your wml scripts through Nokia SDKs (any) but i would refer you to download a SDK from
    www.openwave.com (free) it is best.

2. Wap and Xhtml are two different things. WAP is Web Application Protocol. It is tech which develope the wml and wml scripts etc.
    You said WAP is dying (some one said). In net's world nothing least forever but i dont think WAP is dying as they are develping WAP tech day by day.

WML is readable through all the mobiles. If you want to learn please use
    www.w3school.com
    or google about webmatrix (for mobile dot net tech) by ms

Thanks
    shnawer
    bluemobiles.com

Thanks for the info. I'll try learning WAP to make my site mobile-readable.
    Abt the WAP dying part - it seems most mobile phones are now coming xHTML compatible as WAP is difficult to use. There hardly seem to be new models out that has WAP and not xHTML.
    Anjanesh Lekshminarayanan

xhtml and wml are from the same family "XML". I think XHTML browsers can read wml as well.
    XHTML is very near to html 4.
    If you are going to start then i will say you learn XHTML.
    XHTML has one fault which is that all browsers can read it thats why your downloading file path can be accessed through even Internet explorer.
    but wml cant be read by any web browser thats why your files are save always.