Discussion Board

Getting a phone call in a game kills Midlet

We are writing a game with a Thread which basically renders graphics with repaint() and then calls serviceRepaints() and callSerially().

However we have a problem when there is a phone call on the 7650 which interrupts the game.
    After the call is taken the game continues, but after the game exits it cannot be restarted. Sometimes the application list even goes blank. The problem continues forever and the game can't be run, deleted or reinstalled until the phone is reset!

We have a feeling that we may need to handle the pauseApp() function, but we don't know what this should do? Is this called briefly when the app is paused and then another function is called to restart the app?
    What should this do - pause the game thread? Sleep? Suspend threads?

RE: Getting a phone call in a game kills Midlet

It must be something wrong with KVM and AMS. I've got the same problem on 7650. But on the 3650 works fine.

you should release all resources (threads, timers etc)
    anyway, even if you do that there is no quarantee
    it will work.

I have the same problem on my Nokia 7650 with my current game developing. I try to free memory setting all my objects to null buth nothing.... :-((

If anyone knows a solution please help me!
    Have a Good Day

Ultranano.

Nokia help us !!!!!

Hello Nokia !!!!!!!!!
    Well I have the same problem with my game, I 'm playing my device sounds ( an incoming call ) I finish the conversation, my thread continues, I close my game and if I want to restart the game I must reboot the phone.

Please if you have any idea please contact to gabrielp@neocontent.com or to this forum.

Thanks
    Last edited by gpg15600; 2003-03-27 at 13:00.

Hi,

I'd the same problem and found an alternative soultion: the Canvas class has an isShown method and you able the switch to paused state or exit from your application.

Regards,
    Laszlo Sera
    sera@insync.hu

PS: if I know as well in series 60 3 applications able to run in the background.

Hello gossip2222, once you 've received an incoming call , can you close your midlet and then reopen it ????
    I can't !!!
    If I receive a call I can speak, then I return to my canvas and the thread continues but if I close it the only way to reopen the midlet is rebooting the 7650, neither I can reopen nor delete.
    I've tested the blockinggame of Nokia and the problems occurs too.

Thanks a lot, today is sunday but I've a big problem with tihs issue and I'm working hard.

Regards

Hi gpg,

I can close the midlet... I call the midlet's exit() method from canvas's hideNotify method and works well.

Regards,
    Laci
    sera@insync.hu

Hi gossip, and once you have closed your midlet (having a call previously) can you restart it !!!!
    Regards