×

Discussion Board

Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    10

    RE: Problem with Nokia PC Suite 4.81

    Right now I expierence the same problems. It seems to be absolutely by random if the nokia phone is detected or not!? I have a 6310i connected with a DLR-3P cable to com1. On my machine runs WIN NT. Sometimes when I try to set the com1 port manually, I got an unknown connection error --- first I thought that maybe my com port was in use by another application but this was obviously not the problem! But reinstalling, installing, connecting, disconnecting, booting and rebooting can not be the final solution for this problem??? How does Nokia itself deal with this?? Any bugfixing or other suggestions??

    Cheers Baumi

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    11

    Problem with Nokia PC Suite 4.81

    I have a Nokia 6310i, and I have just installed the Nokia PC Suite 4.81. I
    am trying to connect using a serial cable to the com1 port, but the software
    cannot detect the phone at all. I set the com port manually, and still, it
    cannot detect the phone. I have tried rebooting, and reinstalling numerous
    times, I have tried installing the software on different computers, I have
    double checked the bios to make sure the com ports are enabled and the
    address matches that, that is on the windows 2000 hardware devices
    configuration for the com ports. Do you have any suggestions?


    Please help.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    1

    RE: Problem with Nokia PC Suite 4.81

    I had the same problem, here's what worked for me:

    - uninstall PC Suite
    - shutdown the PC and switch off the phone
    - with the cable connected and the phone switched OFF, reboot the PC
    - reinstall PC Suite up to the point where it says something like... please connect your phone to the COM port...
    - at that stage, switch on the phone and, after the phone has a network connection, click Continue/Next/Proceed (or whatever it is called)
    - in my case this worked and, after days of trying, the phone was finally detected (automatically)

    Notes:
    #1: Make sure you have the right cable. I initially assumed that the cable from my previous 6110 phone (DAU-9P) would work (it has exactly the same connectors), but I bought the recommended DLR-3P in order to eliminate the cable itself as a possible cause. I have not gone back to check whether the original cable works.

    #2: Before reinstalling, I also removed all modems and the Nokia Modem Setup software.

    #3: If you plan to install the phone as a modem, then the following may also be of interest: After I got PC Suite to connect to the phone, I installed the Nokia Modem Setup software and found myself back at square one - dialup networking would not connect to the modem. After many more hours, I discovered that if I opened Nokia Connection Manager and DISABLED the cable connection (i.e. click on the cable icon, so that it is no longer green), then dialup networking could find the modem and all was ok. This seems illogical to me, as I had assumed that the function of a Connection Manager would be to manage connections and that it should therefore be active, but this does not seem to be the case - at least that's what worked for me!

    Hope this helps. Best of luck.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    1

    RE: Problem with Nokia PC Suite 4.81

    My experience with a 6310/Win98/PC Suite 4.5a/DLR-9R is that the detection of the phones is problematic at best. I have found you have to be patient with the PC Suite Connection Manager. Really patient. You will find it is not your computer causing you grief. com ports work and normally work well with Windows (surprising I know). Try this sequence:
    Disconnect the phone - turn it off then back on. (For some reason the phone even gets confused).
    With the phone disconnected check if the Connection manager is running. It should be and when opened should say the phone is missing.
    Plug the newly powered up phone into the cable. Wait - then wait a bit longer. It can take up to 30 seconds.
    Start PC suite content copier. This should then respond correctly.

    The bottom line is that it appears the detection procedure used by Nokia needs work - serious work. Try patience it may solve the issue.

    Steve.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •