Discussion Board

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: JSR 179 - developing applications with it

I found several inexpensive phones on Ebay that have GPS and I can develop using. Then I ran into the question: If I plan on not purchasing a service for the phone can I still access the GPS functions to get location?

Basically I just need a phone to develop and test my application sheerly from the standpointo of accessing the GPS functions and getting the coordinates. Once that works I'll worry about getting service and build my application to make use of that information. Anyone dealt with this?

My assumption is no, based on:
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/0,6566,1_23,00.html
    which is a good reference for LBS and Nokia phones.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by o66183
    Do you have a 6265i already ? Why raw, when you have the JSR179 interfaces ?
    How do you get the raw data ?
    Regards
    Oliver
    I guess I do not understand how the JSR179 accesses the coordinates? I assume that I go after the pseudo ranges of the gpsOne receiver, for example, then forward the raw data (pseudoranges) to a server to give me lat, long, and alt. My CDMA carrier does not have an end-to-end GPS/LBS deployment.

I guess I am almost asking the same question, how do you get the raw data from a gpsOne receiver? or you do NOT need to worry about that if you have a support for JSR179? So where does the location API fit in all this? What is the advantage of using the JSR179 to calculate lat/long, and alt in my case?

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Hi,

I read in this thread that some people managed it to use JSR 179 on a Moto A780. I'm verry interested in that topic.

I'm currently searching for a J2ME device that supports JSR 179, that has a big display, maybe pointer support and a camera. The A780 would be perfect, but in all specs there is nothing written about JSR 179 support.

Do you know something more about the Moto A780?

Do you know if Nokia will come up with something similar? I know that the Nokia E61 supports JSR 179. Unfortunaltely it doesn't have a camera..

Is there a device from any hardware manufacturer with that features the is allready on marked or that will come to marked soon?

Thanks for your Support...

Jan

Regular Contributor

Hi Jan,

The A780 works perfectly with JSR179 - I've already developed several JSR179 applications with it.

But you can also use the new Series60 3rd edition with JSR179 (E60, E61, N80, N91...) with the difference the application will search for a bluetooth GPS mouse when you use JSR179 instead of using the internal GPS like a A780 does.

But that phone behaviour ist totally transparent to the apllication, so a JSR179 app that runs on a A780 will also run on an E60, E61, N91, N80, N93 ... with no change.

I did not hear of a Nokia phone with internal GPS but the Siemens SGX75 has internal JSR179 support as well.

Oliver
    Oliver

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for you quick reply!

Maybe you have one more hint for me. I was reading that for some Moto devices its necessary to use signed MIDlets to access the location API. Did you have any trouble with that?

Thanks & Best Regards,

Jan

Regular Contributor

The A780 works with unsigned midlets, the A1000 has a properitary Location API and needs to be signed as well.

Moto is quite crazy concerning their API restriction philosophy...but it's more in regards to JSR135 and JSR75

Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by o66183 View Post
    What cellphone do you have, exactly what you want to do I've done already , but you've to pay for the reverse-geo-service, at least I haven't found one without billing.
    Oliver
    Hi Oliver,
    I am also going to develop a LBS which needs using reverse geo coding. I understand that you have done something similar to this. Some helps to head my head around with this topic is much appreciated.

I need to get the longitude and latitude of the mobile device which has external GPS receiver paired. Then I need to find the bus stop(s) around or say some point of interest (POI) around for the given lon/lat.

1.) Do you have any source code that can read lon/lat ?
    2.) How do I implement reverse geo coding ?

I am planning to use either Nokia N73 phone ?

TIA
    Seevali

i am using nokia 114. it supports jsr-179 api. but it doesn't have gps.
    Is it possible to get Location?

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by ramakrishnanokia View Post
    i am using nokia 114. it supports jsr-179 api. but it doesn't have gps.
    Is it possible to get Location?
    Yes, its possible to get location by pairing it with external Bluetooth enabled GPS receiver and using JSR 179 API's.
    Or check if device supports cell id based location detection - it also get you the location with lower accuracy as compared to internal / external GPS.
    thanks,
    ~Amitabh
    (Champion of the Month -Aug'13)
    Follow me on my blog for Innovative Mobile Apps