Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Q: How to override player's streaming proxy settings through MMF API?

We are using Series 60 2nd Edition's Multimedia Framework (MMF) API for playing RealMedia and 3GPP audio/video streams in our own application on Nokia Series 60 2nd edition devices.

CVideoPlayerUtility class instance is constructed without defining any media controller UID, so phone's built-in RealPlayer is used for playback by default. OpenUrlL() function is used for opening media streams and it works basically great, but there is a one major problem:

It seems that there is no way to define streaming proxy settings to the player through MMF API. OpenUrlL function takes access point ID as a parameter, but it still uses the streaming proxy settings configured to the device's RealPlayer.

Due to this, if there is a proxy set in the Real Player's configuration, it will be used even if we would not like to use a proxy at all. On the other hand, if we would like to use a different proxy than set in the Real Player's settings, it cannot be set (not at least by using OpenUrlL function).

CVideoPlayerUtility::OpenUrlL function is declared as following:
    void OpenUrlL(const TDesC& aUrl, TInt aIapId, const TDesC8& aMimeType, TUid aControllerUid);

So, we are wondering if there is any way to override player's streaming proxy address and port when the MMF API and CVideoPlayerUtility class is used for playing the media stream?

I thought that there could be a change to use custom commands that can be sent to media controller plugin, but I don't have a clue what kind of custom commands are implemented by particular controller plugin (if there are any).

There are some functions defined in CVideoPlayerUtility for sending custom commands to the controller plugins:

TInt CustomCommandSync(const TMMFMessageDestinationPckg& aDestination, TInt aFunction, const TDesC8& aDataTo1, const TDesC8& aDataTo2, TDes8& aDataFrom);

TInt CustomCommandSync(const TMMFMessageDestinationPckg& aDestination, TInt aFunction, const TDesC8& aDataTo1, const TDesC8& aDataTo2);

void CustomCommandAsync(const TMMFMessageDestinationPckg& aDestination, TInt aFunction, const TDesC8& aDataTo1, const TDesC8& aDataTo2, TDes8& aDataFrom, TRequestStatus& aStatus);

void CustomCommandAsync(const TMMFMessageDestinationPckg& aDestination, TInt aFunction, const TDesC8& aDataTo1, const TDesC8& aDataTo2, TRequestStatus& aStatus);

Could these be used for overriding player's proxy settins, and if so, how? Or is there any other reliable way to override RealPlayer's proxy settings?

Re: Q: How to override player's streaming proxy settings through MMF API?

Hey guyz,
    Are you able to test anything on the emulator? I am trying a simple instantiation of CMdaAudioPlayerUtility or any other MMF client and my emulator crashes. This on WINCWS UDEB.
    Any help is appreciated, I will be trying to run the darn thing on the device tomorrow.

Rgds.
    Mandar