Discussion Board

Displaying some text over video

Hi all,
    I'm working on a video application and I'd like to display some text over the video while playing in fullscreen. I know this is possible because there are commercial applications that do this (http://www.watchtones.com/). The CVideoPlayerUtility uses DSA to display video and I don't think it is possible to have two direct accesses to the screen at the same time. Also the GetFrameL method from the CVideoPlayerUtility and its callback MvpuoFrameReady() doesn't work. Professional Services says that it is not implemented. So, does anyone knows how one can display text over a playing video. Is there a method of retrieving the video frames before they are displayed?
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by jaaura; 2006-03-21 at 11:28. Reason: Closing parenthesis was part of the link, and therefore the link did not work

Re: Displaying some text over video

have you found the solution ? I'm interested too in this ....

Tkx,
    Domi.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    FExplorer is my baby !

you can get the FREE version from www.gosymbian.com
    you can get the PRO version from http://store.ovi.com/content/339454

Super Contributor

Hi,
    why it's not possible?? I don't remeber exactly how we implement this - I could look into source code, but I think that there were two approaches. In first video is displayed directly using DSA? and in second approach single frames are displayed by the client code. Using second possibility gives you chance to change the content of displayed frame...

Bye
    STeN

The current video playback controllers only support displaying video using DSA so it's not possible to receive decoded images back to the application. Video will be displayed directly on the screen in the region given, and it's not possible to reliably overlay graphics on top of it.

You could try creating a new window partially on top of the image, but clipping support can also be quite limited and that may disable video rendering altogether. Your best bet may be to play video in a reduced-size window and draw other content around it. Not the best-looking solution unfortunately.

It is not possible to draw text over video frame. May be you can extract images of all the frames of video and display images rather than playing video. In this case you can write text over the images which will look like video.

May not be better solution but will solve the issue.

BR,
    SSS

it's strange, there are some software which are able to do that, even with other pictures which have transparent frames ...

Domi.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    FExplorer is my baby !

you can get the FREE version from www.gosymbian.com
    you can get the PRO version from http://store.ovi.com/content/339454

I expect this "other software" does its own video decoding and doesn't use the system video playback controller. In that case just about anything is possible, but it's impossible to take advantage of any video hardware acceleration the device may have.

Hi,

please send me the solution to this problem