Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Question Video streaming two-way

I just want to ask if it is possible to do two-way video streaming on an N6680. Or is it like socket connections wherein you can only read or write at a socket at any point in time. I was thinking would it be possible for two 6680 phones to view each other's camera simultaneously?

I have seen it done one-way. Is this a bandwidth limitation or an API restriction?

Re: Video streaming two-way

arent video calls built into the phone?

how would you go about doing two things at any point in time?
    EG, you cant read and write to a file at the same time, you're either reading or writing at any point in time

Nokia Developer Moderator

basically in application point of view, there is a possibility to do two things same time, just see the active objects part of the SDK documentation as well as multi threading etc..

In reality of course threads & active objects will have only one action taking place (at least if ther eis only one processor).. anyway, this was propably not what was asked here.

And to answer the question, I think with 6680, you need to have some sort of system that you write, then wait for an answer, and then wite again. At least when I tried to do them same time, some servers kept on crashing and re-booting the phone. Could of course have been my coding mistake, but ended up, having communication method where only one party is sending at any time.

yucca

Regular Contributor

Smile Re: Video streaming two-way

Thanks for the good answer. Actually I have done a SIP module with sockets functionality. When sending data to and from phone, at any point in time only one action was taking place even if you implement it "simultaneously" in your program. Either I was sending and the other phone was receiving or receiving while the other phone was sending. What I want is a video call functionality that acts like a traditional voice call wherein the data/voice is sent two-way simulataneously in reality.

You mentioned that this was possible in phones with dual processors. So you are saying that what I want is not possible given a 6680 phone? I better get the N series phones?

Nokia Developer Moderator

infact the answer should have just said, that in my rather sort experience with communications between two phones, I only managed to implement the communications in a way that only one party is sending at any given time. So they are efectivly taking turns on sending-receiving. Anyway in my case when ever I tried to send same time in both ends I got socket server to crash, which efectively re-boots any non-proto phone. Was doing this last time on 6680.

yucca

Ryan,

Greetings - I saw from your posting that you have seen one-way video streaming implemented. I am working on trying to implement one-way streaming video while it is recorded from the camera, but find it hard to identify the details of CVideoRecorderUtility needed to support this.

Could you please tell me if the solution you saw streamed a closed video file from the phone, or if the source of the video stream was directly taken from the camera? In the latter case it would be very interesting to hear more how this was done...

Thank you very much.
    maer2153

Regular Contributor

Regarding streaming one way, there is a pdf tutorial somewhere here that instructs you how to do videocalls one-way. That is the reason why I wanted to ask if it is possible to do videocalls two-way. I wanted to make sure it is possible before I start implementing it. If it is possible, it is only a matter of time before you can implement it.

I have read thru the tutorial and if it teaches you how to stream video files from a link, theoretically it should be possible to stream directly from the camera provided you make the camera save data to a stream.

Hello,

Did you manage to do a video call?

I would like to make a video call from my application.
    This application must run on a Nokia 6680 (S60 2nd FP2).
    I don't want to rewrite the native video call application.
    So I wonder if there is a way to call it from my application.
    I know that during a video call, an application called "videotelui" is running.
    I tried to launch it with several parameters ( nothing or the phone number ) using StartAppL() but it does not work.
    Do you think it is feasible?
    Do you think there are other applications involved in the video call handling (maybe this one is just a GUI )?

Thanks,
    Agnes

Regular Contributor

Wink Re: Video streaming two-way

Strictly speaking I was not doing a video call in my current project. I wanted to ask this question first to make sure that Video streaming two-way is possible before going thru the trouble of code experimenting and there was a possibility for me to do video calls at that time (but it did not materialize). If you want to do video streaming, I think there is a video streaming document somewhere here.

http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n..._0_en.pdf.html

I have not done this yet but if I were you I would start with this document and do video streaming by means of sockets. Do you think that is a valid theoretical solution to your problem?