Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Unhappy Please HELP! Push Registry on signed MIDlet

I have asked this before without getting an answer. Hopefully, I will have more luck this time.

I am attempting to have a signed MIDlet on the SMS push registry. When I attempt to do this on MIDP-2 phones, the application is invalidated.

Details:

I have two versions that I have tried. First, a single MIDlet whose JAD file has the following line...
    MIDlet-Push-1: sms://:8765, com.MyCompany.Project.HelloWorld, *
    I have two versions of the JAD file. One is signed, the other isn't. When I install the unsigned version, it runs fine. When I install the signed version, the application is installed but is not runnable (it is shaded and the only option available is to delete it).

The second version is a MIDlet suite that contains two apps. One app is the hello world. The other app is designed to put the first app on the Push registry. If I run the unsigned version of the push app, it runs fine. If I install the signed version of the suite, I get an exception when I run the push app.

I have found that I have to problems with this on the Nokia 6100 (MIDP-1.0) but both the 6230i and 3220 (both MIDP-2.0) phones behave as above.

Please help!!!! I have been on this for a week and have ordered extra phones (3220) to see if it was just a 6230 issue.

Thanks,
    John

Regular Contributor

Re: Please HELP! Push Registry on signed MIDlet

Turns out that with signed MIDlets, you have to request the permissions for Push and SMS in the manifest and JAD files to be able to use SMS with Push. I think it is odd that a signed MIDlet is more restricted in this sense than an unsigned MIDlet.

Regular Contributor

I have the same Problem with my application on 6230i which accesses the Filesystem. I have seen in the Nokia Document about signing Midlets that there have to be 3 cert entries in the jad File. But every time I sign the Midlet the singning tool creates only two entries. The unsigned app works fine except for the Filesystem access. I have not solved this problem. I send my app to javaverisign to get it signed. :-(

Regular Contributor

I got a certificate from Verisign. When I sign a package the following is added to the jad file...

MIDlet-Certificate-1-1: ...
    MIDlet-Certificate-1-2: ...
    MIDlet-Jar-RSA-SHA1: ...

Smile Re: Please HELP! Push Registry on signed MIDlet

So does it work?

Regular Contributor

What it? I found out that to use the Push registry in a signed MIDlet, you have to specify that permission in the manifest and JAD files. Also signing does work.

Try adding this to your MIDlet-Permissions Entry: javax.microedition.io.PushRegistry, javax.microedition.io.Connector.sms, javax.wireless.messaging.sms.receive

Nokia Developer Expert

A signed midlet *must* request all permissions it would like to have in the JAD file. With an unsigned midlet, you *can't* specify any permissions in the JAD file.

Daniel