Discussion Board

SMS default port

I have a problem about Receiving SMS . My midlet try to receive SMS that send from SMSC but it cann't ,it always go to inbox, Which port should i open for recieving SMS ? or it has another solution to solve this problem ? T T

Regular Contributor

Re: SMS default port

Your MIDlet cannot receive messages sent to the default port. It can only receive messages sent to a specific port.

So how can i receive sms from SMSC,coz i won't know what port that SMSC will send to my application.... ><

Regular Contributor

What is SMSC? That is the problem with designing your own apps to use SMS. You basically have to program both sides of the communication yourself to use a specific port number.

SMSC is short msg centre. My app try to receive sms from operater and will check that message . i'm very confuse - - "

Regular Contributor

Have I answered your question? What are you confused about?

i confuse about how can i order the operator to send sms to me with my specific port T_T

Thank You

Regular Contributor

I don't think you can. Unless you write an application / service to send SMS messages to a specific port, they will always go to the default port (which your MIDlet will not have access to). If you have input / control over the operator you might be able to change they application they use to send the SMS to send it to a specific port.

1.i don't understand that you said "Unless you write an application / service to send SMS messages to a specific port, they will always go to the default port" .if i specific service to send SMS port why they will go to default port.
    2. You mean if i know server (sending sms)port ,i will listen to sms before it go to inbox. right?

(^^) thank you

Hi,

As john Says, you can not Register a java application on the "default" SMS port.

you can however register a java application to recieve SMS messages that are sent to a specific port.

you can then send your messages to the specific port you have registerd your application on, by setting the port in the UDH ( User Data Header ) of a binary SMS.

you can send a binary SMS using a GSM modem, or if you have an SMPP conncetion to your carriers SMSC ( provided they dont block the port) or if you have an SMS agrigator that allows sending of binary messages

Hope this helps

Ed

Umm...i wanna know what is inbox port? (i mean native inbox in phones)
    Thanks ^^

Regular Contributor

Default port is 0 (zero).

Viru Doshi
    ~ No Style Without Substance ~

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by edward_massey
    Hi,

As john Says, you can not Register a java application on the "default" SMS port.

you can however register a java application to recieve SMS messages that are sent to a specific port.

you can then send your messages to the specific port you have registerd your application on, by setting the port in the UDH ( User Data Header ) of a binary SMS.

you can send a binary SMS using a GSM modem, or if you have an SMPP conncetion to your carriers SMSC ( provided they dont block the port) or if you have an SMS agrigator that allows sending of binary messages

Hope this helps

Ed
    I use the simplewire sdk. How can I encode the detination port as part of the header (UDH) of my binary message?

I try sending SMS to my a number through my netowrk but it seems my network is resend the sms to the default port on the GSM.

How do I hardcode the destination port into my simplewire sdk without the network operator changin the destination port

Hi, I sends SMS via GSC modem (AT command) but I can not add a UDA with port number, can you please send me a example... Thank you,