Discussion Board

Question Installing MIDlet via OTA

I have signed midlet (self-signed cert) and I have succesfully installed it into my 6600. Procedure to do that is

1. download midlet.cer from website by Opera
    2. save midlet.cer and change it's trusted settings
    3. install midlet.jad from website by Opera
    4. change applilcation security settings
    5. midlet is ready to use

Now problem is that model 6630 doesn't have Opera installed and it's own web browser doesn't regonize midlet.cer as a certificate file (Apache has AddType application/x-x509-ca-cert) but opens it as a text file. How I can install certificate over network without installing Opera?

Re: Installing MIDlet via OTA

You can't self sign a MIDlet - that would make certificates pointless because then anyone could do it.

You mean that there is no way anymore that users can download certificates? As I told I have succesfully installed self signed midlets earlier but has Nokia made decision that it is not allowable anymore? Does anybody has link or other document which confirms this information?

I thought that it is customers decision if they want to trust me as certificate provider...

Quote Originally Posted by heikki_j
    You mean that there is no way anymore that users can download certificates? As I told I have succesfully installed self signed midlets earlier but has Nokia made decision that it is not allowable anymore? Does anybody has link or other document which confirms this information?

I thought that it is customers decision if they want to trust me as certificate provider...
    Self-signed certificates work; I'm not sure what the other poster is talking about. I installed my cert over bluetooth, it worked just fine. Alternately you might try just saving the cert and then using a program like FExplorer to move it to your inbox, then open the inbox and select the certificate.

Thank you for answering. My main concern is that end users should do install process by themselves and it should be as simple as it is possible. I wish that they not need to install Opera, FExplorer or anything else which makes process too compilcated...

Quote Originally Posted by heikki_j
    I have signed midlet (self-signed cert) and I have succesfully installed it into my 6600. Procedure to do that is

1. download midlet.cer from website by Opera
    2. save midlet.cer and change it's trusted settings
    3. install midlet.jad from website by Opera
    4. change applilcation security settings
    5. midlet is ready to use

Now problem is that model 6630 doesn't have Opera installed and it's own web browser doesn't regonize midlet.cer as a certificate file (Apache has AddType application/x-x509-ca-cert) but opens it as a text file. How I can install certificate over network without installing Opera?
    heikki_j,

Have you eventually managed to solve this problem? I can install the certificate in 6630 and 6680 phones if I copy the .cer file directly to a file folder in the phone (I use a USB cable to the PC to do that) but when I try installation via OTA I have the same problem reported in your message (Nokia can claim that installing certificates is unsecure but the policy implemented is inconsistent to say the least since you can install certificates by the method I described).

If you have any suggestion on how to configure the web server (or the phone) for the downloading, please let me know.

BR,

F. Gomez