Discussion Board

Bluetooth services discovery without pin pairing

Hi,
    I'm developing a client-server application. The server side is a J2ME application that should be run on a mobile device, while the client side is a J2SE application that should be run on a workstation. Client and server communicate over a Bluetooth (RFCOMM) link.

Actually, I'm testing this application using two computers. The first one runs the Nokia series 60 emulator and uses the Nokia Connectivity Framework (version 1.2) to interface the BT USB adapter with the emulator. The second computer runs the client side application (J2SE) that uses avetanaBluetooth library to communicate over the Bluetooth link.

Problem: when the client application search for services available on the "mobile device", it compares a Windows pop-up message that ask to insert the pin pairing code. However, the server application should disable the authentication, since it accepts RFCOMM connections with the following parameters "authentication=false;authorize=false;encrypt=false".

Don't you think that this a strange behavior?
    Can you help me to understand?
    How can I search services without entering the pin code?

Every usefull comment will be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Marco Pracucci

Try with a real phone. Could be a problem of the Nokia emulator. J2ME data exchange without pairing works here for two mobile phones.

Re: Bluetooth services discovery without pin pairing

Quote Originally Posted by traud
    Try with a real phone. Could be a problem of the Nokia emulator. J2ME data exchange without pairing works here for two mobile phones.
    I tried with a real phone (Nokia 6600) and the problem doesn't arise. Therefore, I suppose that the problem is caused by the Nokia emulator or it's caused by the integration of Nokia connectivity Framework/USB dongle/Windows.

Moreover, I have another problem with the emulator, that it doesn't appear with a real phone. The scenario is like the following:
    - PC 1: I have configured the Nokia connectivity framework (v.1.2) with a real USB Bluetooth dongle
    - PC 1: I have executed a MIDlet that offer a Bluetooth service (Nokia series 60 emulator)
    - PC 2: I have executed an application (both J2ME and J2SE, it does not matter) that connects to the Bluetooth service offered by PC 1

The bluetooth link has been established correctly, but the communication link become disconnected after exactly 60 seconds. I suppose that this is a Nokia emulator problem, because if I execute the application with another JRE/Emulator it doen't appear.

Have anyone ever had a similar problem?

Thanks for your support,
    Marco Pracucci
    Last edited by pracucci; 2005-11-24 at 20:35.

Hi,

I too doing the same project. Can you please give the source code of that program. It will e very helpful to me.
    My email id is shengiv@myway.com
    Thanks in advance.

Hi, Im having the same problem with pairing between a computer and phone. How did you switch of pairing? The NOAUTHENTICATE_NOECRYPT doesnt seem to do anything.

cheers

Mat

hi pracuccii
    i am doing the reverse thing.
    I have server in my j2se application and client in mobile(j2me) application.
    Can you send me the code for both j2se and j2me program.
    Because as you have written i have also searched and downloaded avetana library, but i don't know how to use this avetana library in j2se program,
    I have win XP with sp2.
    My email id is vaidschapy@yahoo.co.in
    It will be very helpful to me if you send me the code.

And one thing i tried out that after starting blue tooth dongle in my pc it gives me ip address so in j2me application in socket connection i supplied that ip address but in phone it shows me no packet service is defined.

As much i know as per that if bluetooth dongle starts up the lan then in j2se program i can use socket programming to transfer the data between the j2se application and j2me application because in j2me it supports socket connection.

If this idea successeds then i won't need this bluetooth library.

So any one can help me.

Thank you.

Hello All,

If any of you have code that you are able and willing to share with me, please email me at ej39332@hotmail.com. I am trying to develop an application for the blind using bluetooth without pairing.