Discussion Board

NOKIA N90 and live video feed

Hi, I've newly joined the Forum and would like to share the interesting issues which no one in SONERA, a mobile phone doperator in Finland seems to know.

I got this brand new NOKIA N90 phone, WCDMA, OS Symbian OS 8.1a , Series 60 UI, Java MIDP 2.0. A great phone. And I am testing different video streams of our concerts in the music university, Sibelius Academy, in Helsinki.

I prepared 3 different streamable sources: 1) Live stream encoded by QuickTime broadcaster in .3gpp format. 2) .3gpp formated short video clip stored on our HELIX server. 3) Live stream from the webcam, AXIS213, in my office in mpeg4.

I have a good 3G UMTS signal reception here in my office located in the centre of Helsinki. And I tested all these streams on my Mac laptop and on a PC laptop, in both QuickTime player (ver.7) and Real Media Player(ver.10). All streams are fine. No problems at all.

Then I tried with N90. The second one, .3gpp file works fine. even in full screen mode pretty well. The problem is the first one and the third one. I think the third one, webcam stream in mpeg4 is not really .3gpp compliant, so I probably check more about this AXIS camera specs.

But my real concern is the first one; live video feed in.3gpp by HELIX. I get this message all the time that the URL is not valid. As you know that the live stream requires .sdp file for reaching the real stream data, I guess the N90's OS does not understand the .sdp file. I guess if you use RealMedia live encoder and produce .ram file with HELIX, the N90 probably understand it? I do not have Real Media live encoder, I have no way to test it. Has anyone already tested it? Can anyone advise me the true problem?

Thanks.

Re: NOKIA N90 and live video feed

Hi,

Have you find any solution to stream the video from Axis213 camera to mobile? I'm trying to stream from the camera to Nokia 6680 but so far without success. According to camera's settings everything should be fine.

BR
    eeoikari

Quote Originally Posted by eeoikari
    Hi,

Have you find any solution to stream the video from Axis213 camera to mobile? I'm trying to stream from the camera to Nokia 6680 but so far without success. According to camera's settings everything should be fine.

BR
    eeoikari
    Have you checked that you have the lastest firmware on the camera? There was a bug that it contained headers that REalplayer on mobiles could not read and hence not play. Check that you have the latest firmware.

About Helix, have you tried symbian.helixcommunity.org?

I have 4.30 firmware version. After fiddling with the camera's filesystem I found a 'media.3gp' file at the same location where the 'media.amp' is. The 'media.3gp' file opened successfully on Communicator.

About the helix player, i've tried it, but for some reason it cannot open H.263 files though it should.

-eeoikari

I think problem is with realplayer. I have same problem with nokia n93i. Live stream can be watched on VLC player on my laptop connected via same n93i dial up connection, but not on n93i itself.
    I can download 3gp clips and view in realplayer but live streaming does not work. I also tried n73 but same problem.

http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=107676

Hi skanki,

is it possible you tell us how you successfully established 1) a connection from your AXIS webcam stream (.3gp or .amp) to an outside recipient, so outside your intranet, and 2) what player did you finally use to view the video and configuration was it exactly? did you need to install a special codec? what was the video encoded? directly from the webcam or did you had a video stream server in between?

thanks for your reply, it would be of great help to me and lots of other people

Regards,

cmdrcoolx

Super Contributor

Hi,
    This problem of streaming on the N73 has been solved basically upgrade the firmware on the the software update site
    See the Wiki article
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...ideo_streaming

see this thread for how the problem was found!! (long #51 notes)
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...365#post313365

There is a similar problem with the N80,maybe N90 has a problem with firmware, but we wont know until you have upgraded.

The N95 DOES NOT have this problem

Good Luck.
    Jim
    Last edited by jimgilmour1; 2007-06-01 at 12:15.

Hi,

anyone got a solution for this problem yet? It is not solved with the new firmware as mentioned in the previous posts. I can not view a live stream encoded with either QuickTime broadcaster, Wirecast or Helix on any Nokia phone, although they work perfectly fine on all Sony-Ericsson phones and the Motorola V3x. The bitrate is not too high (20 kbit/s). The phone hangs on the message 'loading' from the real player. Nothing happens after that and you can't cancel it.
    It is not the firmware, my N73 has revision 3.0704.1.0.1. I have tried MPEG-4, H.263 with or without either MPEG4 audio or AMR. Nothing works. The only thing that does work is pre-encoded streams (not live).

Has anyone ever got this working? If so, how?

Regards,
    Herman

Quote Originally Posted by hmeerlo View Post
    Hi,

anyone got a solution for this problem yet? It is not solved with the new firmware as mentioned in the previous posts. I can not view a live stream encoded with either QuickTime broadcaster, Wirecast or Helix on any Nokia phone, although they work perfectly fine on all Sony-Ericsson phones and the Motorola V3x. The bitrate is not too high (20 kbit/s). The phone hangs on the message 'loading' from the real player. Nothing happens after that and you can't cancel it.
    It is not the firmware, my N73 has revision 3.0704.1.0.1. I have tried MPEG-4, H.263 with or without either MPEG4 audio or AMR. Nothing works. The only thing that does work is pre-encoded streams (not live).

Has anyone ever got this working? If so, how?

Regards,
    Herman
    As for N90 and some others (N80, and older phones), i would say RealPlayer can't stream live contents.I've tried even live audio streams (without video) and it always shows an error message.

Maybe for brand-new models like N95 the problem is fixed.

But for the other ones, no other way i can think of but using third party players i.e. Helix Player

best regards
    Http_user_agent:
    NokiaN80-1/3.0 (4.0707.0.7)
    Series60/3.0
    Profile/MIDP-2.0
    Configuration/CLDC-1.1

Well, that is the strange thing actually. I have no problems streaming to the N90 using either Quicktime Broadcaster or Wirecast. It is the other (less powerfull) phones like the N80, N73 etc which do not work. I have no idea how I could stream to these phones and Nokia is completely silent about this topic.