Discussion Board

J2ME + SIP = need for a public IP

Hello,

I'm currently playing around a little bit with the possibilities of SIP on J2ME-enabled phones.
    Unfortunately, SIP doesn't work very well on my mobile phone, because it only gets a private IP-adress from my provider (via UMTS and GPRS). As far as i know, SIP only works properly if 2 hosts with a public IP-address communicate (or maybe if the NAT-Gateway supports SIP).
    So, I'm looking for a method to assign a public IP adress to my mobile phone in order to be able to test my SIP-Applications on it.
    I had the following ideas until now:
    - Bluetooth-Connection between the phone and my PC; The phone uses bluetooth instead of GPRS/UMTS to access the internet. Are there any mobile phones which would be suitable for this? Maybe with a pocketPC?
    - VPN connection between my phone and a server which assigns a public IP to the phone.

Are there any other possibilities to solve this problem? The main requirement is, that the J2ME-application on my mobile device is able to access the internet using a public ip.

Thanks for your help in advance!

tom

Some networks give public IPs on request. Ask your provider.

Re: J2ME + SIP = need for a public IP

hello,

i got the same problem.. how to set public id to my mobile. can u plz explain me how to implement SIP VoIP in J2ME

Quote Originally Posted by oe3vsfm4 View Post
    Hello,

I'm currently playing around a little bit with the possibilities of SIP on J2ME-enabled phones.
    Unfortunately, SIP doesn't work very well on my mobile phone, because it only gets a private IP-adress from my provider (via UMTS and GPRS). As far as i know, SIP only works properly if 2 hosts with a public IP-address communicate (or maybe if the NAT-Gateway supports SIP).
    So, I'm looking for a method to assign a public IP adress to my mobile phone in order to be able to test my SIP-Applications on it.
    I had the following ideas until now:
    - Bluetooth-Connection between the phone and my PC; The phone uses bluetooth instead of GPRS/UMTS to access the internet. Are there any mobile phones which would be suitable for this? Maybe with a pocketPC?
    - VPN connection between my phone and a server which assigns a public IP to the phone.

Are there any other possibilities to solve this problem? The main requirement is, that the J2ME-application on my mobile device is able to access the internet using a public ip.

Thanks for your help in advance!

tom

Red face Re: J2ME + SIP = need for a public IP

Hey even i am looking for this can anyone tell me how to get the public ip for my device.

regards,
    venky.
    (venkyatu@gmail.com)