Discussion Board

VoIP over UMTS not WLAN

Hi everyone,

I know VoIP and SIP have already provoked some discussion on the boards. However, most threads appear to end in a stalemate rather than any positive, concrete information.

I need to find a SIP based VoIP client for Symbian which is capable of making calls across the 3G network. I understand the new E-Series platform supports VoIP and SIP for connectivity to Cisco/Avaya etc corporate IP PBX systems, but I am looking to generate and receive VoIP calls whilst using the cellular network rather than 802.11x.

Previous discussions have touched on how to achieve this, but I have yet to find a Symbian VoIP client that can be downloaded, installed and pointed at a SIP server (much like IP softphones for PC can be - X-Lite being a good example).

If anyone knows of such a client I would be very keen to hear about it. Also, if you have any information or suggestions which would be helpful in regard to such a solution Id be very interested.

Nokia, third-party commercial companies or open source programmers, anybody(!) welcome to respond.

Re: VoIP over UMTS not WLAN

The known issues says that you cannot put the sound device into bidirectional mode.

I think this is not a bug, but deliberately so.

Why?

Nokia/Sybmian does not want to upset the operators with
    skype for Series 60. I mean in most countries the phones are unfortunately bundled with sim cards.

I think this is the very reason why you cannot to VOIP over UMTS.

... An additional to my earlier post, I notice that other threads on these boards, and other forums/sites on the net, state that VoIP would be possible if RTP was implemented in Symbian.

This page http://www.symbian.com/technology/symbos-v91-det.html lists RTP as a feature of version 9.1. Can anybody think of any other reasons why VoIP over cellular might not work?

Also, thanks jkekoni for your response. Are you sure that the new Nokia E-Series phones do not support bi-directional sound? They do support VoIP over WLAN so I would have thought the features would be up-to-scratch.

Smile Re: VoIP over UMTS not WLAN

I'd like to ask a question, I's there any way to transfere bynary data using the umts network instead of the gprs?

Super Contributor

Yes, you can transfer any kind of data over UMTS/WCDMA (3G) networks, just as well as EDGE or regular GPRS networks.

In fact, the phone-side application doesn't need to know/care how the connectivity happens (you just use TCP/IP calls, choose a suitable Access Point and the rest is mostly transparent).

> Are you sure that the new Nokia E-Series phones do not support >bi-directional sound?

Of course all support bi directional sound. Even analog phones do.

The question is that if there is a public API for it?

Then the other question is how to create the access point that will use the UMTS/WCDMA ?

If you want to know about VoIP mobile client you can email me on rami75lu@myway.com

Regular Contributor

Smile Re: VoIP over UMTS not WLAN

For Forum Nokia Pro members, there is a Full Duplex Audio Example under Technical Resources->Documentation.

Nokia Developer Expert

Exclamation Re: VoIP over UMTS not WLAN

There is a Nokia VoIP SIP client shipping in E60, E61, E70 (=all v1) and N80IE (v2). Nokia VoIP v2 supports NAT/FW traversal. It is possible with to configure the Nokia VoIP client to do VoIP over 3G - instead of home WLAN access points.

See documentation about the Nokia VoIP client:

http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/reso..._IP/index.html

Hello, I'm having similar kind of problem, I'm trying to setup a SIP connexion over an IPsec VPN (in this case, VPN over 3G)

3G connexion appaers in the list, but not the VPN access point made "over" it, is it a bug, a deliberate position, or am I missing something ?

In this case it is not only important for VoIP over 3G, but for security of calls made over unsecure Wireless LAN acces points...

Best regards,

Clement.

SIP NOKIA 6120c

Hi,
    I have Nokia 6120c n I am facing problems using VOIP on my phone.
    Firstly, I have failed to register my SIP profile in the SIP settings and I dont know how to register it. Because of which I have started using fring and since then whenever I am making a sip call after a minute the phone is restarting n it is also getting heated up (the phone, top area). N, is it possible for me to use the stun server on this?

PLEASE ADVISE
    Thankyou

SIP - VoIP over UMTS not WLAN or EDGE/GPRS

Dear Gentlemen,
    I am not very professional in this mater, pls. let me explain what I did and what is my problem then translate it in your TECNICAL LANGUAGES.
    I set a SIP profile to my new NOKIA E71 and I can use it normally, "Incoming" and "Outgoing" calls are OK,
    I can use it perfectly over WI-FI or in 3G connection and my Internet tel. is registered perfectly, BUT HOW CAN I USE IT IN EDGE OR IN GPRS CONNECTION ---WHERE I MUST CHANGE SOME SETTING TO ABLE MY INTERNET TEL. OPTION TO BE CONNECTED TO MY VOIP PROFIL??????