Discussion Board

Cool Device WAP Address

Hi,

I'm trying to connect two phones via the GPRS network. How can I find the IP address assigned to my phone when I connect to WAP?

Also, can I use this address to connect from another phone to this known phone's address? I tried that and it said the other device does not support that type of connection.

I don't have any hassle connecting to web or wap sites using either the URL identifier or their static IP address, only when connecting to my phone using its dynaminic address. (I went to a site that tells you your address)

Thanks,

Regan

Super Contributor

Re: Device WAP Address

Most operators assign only private IP addresses for phones, which means that they cannot be connected to from outside the operator's network. The connection has to be initiated by the device itself.

If both phones are on private networks in a similar way, they can only contact each other through an intermediate server in the middle which is accessible by both.

Some operators may also assign public IP addresses, but the connectivity may be more expensive, and you can't assign a DNS name to them anyway, so you need to figure out a way to pass the assigned IP address to the other party (again, through an intermediate server that both connect to, or via SMS or something).

Re: Device WAP Address

Thanks for the reply.

What I have in mind is connecting to a server and the server saving that devices' id (i.e. person's name) and the address at that time.

When another device wishes to connect to the first device, it contacts the server and retrieves that devices' address and then connects to it.

The server is able to obtain the address of any device connecting to it so that's not a problem. I would like to know if the originating device can find out its own address without interrogating the connecting device.

Cheers,

Regan