Discussion Board

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Nokia NFC shell and PN531 communication

Hello,

Currently I am working on a NFC project.
    I’m using a Nokia NFC Shell for the Nokia 3220.
    On the PC side I have a Philips PN531 NFC module.

It is possible to communicate between these devices (initialization), but sending or receiving data is not possible.

The PN531 implements the NFCIP-1 protocol. The Nokia Shell seems to implement this protocol, because initialization is possible. After initialization, I want to send data following the Data Exchange Protocol (DEP). After sending data with the PN531, the phone answers with no error (it seems the data is send and received ok).

On the Nokia phone, I must be able to see the data that is send by the PN531. Does anyone know how to get this data, or has anyone worked with the combination of Nokia3220 NFC Shell and Philips PN531 module that can help me with this problem.

Thanks in advance,

Rudie Schonenberg

Re: Nokia NFC shell and PN531 communication

Hello,

i am sorry that i can not help you with your problem, but i would like to know where you get the PN531? Do you know some store where i can purchase this chip? I would like to build a sensor which youse the NFC protocol.

Thanks,

Sinisa Karnas

Hello Sinisa Karnas,

Because I'm working for Philips, I was able to receive a demo board from Philips Semiconductors. I don't know if it is available in a "public" store.

Success with your project,

Rudie Schonenberg

Hello Rudie,

there could be some interests in the region hannover (germany) for some pilot projects regarding blind people and eLearning with the NFC technology. Do you know if somebody at philips would be interested in sponsoring souch projects.

Thanks,

sinisa

Hi Rudie,

We are playing around with the Nokia 3220 SC and the PN511. And well - as far as I'm concerned, there is no way to do so. Nokia's JAVA API for the NFC-Shells is capable of notifying incoming P2P connection, but they have to be established by two Nokia Phones of the same kind. (okay, currently there is only the 3220). In my view the Nokia don't have the NCFIP-1 implemented correctly, else it should work as you discribe it.

take care,

Gerald
    Last edited by geri-m; 2005-12-06 at 07:51.

Hello Sinisa Karnas,

I discussed your question with my manager. Unfortunately our department is not interested to sponsor such projects.

I wish you good luck with your project.

Angry Re: Nokia NFC shell and PN531 communication

Hello Rudie,

I am currently playing with the Nokia 3220 NFC Shell for P&T and the Philips PN531 board.

I am facing exactly the same problem as you.

The PN531 set as a Target sees the phone, but as soon as it requires data (TgGetDEPData, TgGetInitiatorCommand), I get the 0x02 error code, stated as CRC error in the PN531 User manuel.
    On the other side, when I try to make the PN531 act as initiator, everything goes quite well, exepts that the phone seems to get no data

Have you managed to go further since your last post ? If so, I would really appreciate if you could give me some tips on how to achieve communication between these two devices

Thanks in advance,

Arnaud

Hi, all
    I'm also working with NFC now. And facing the same problem that Nokia3220 cannot talk with the PN531.

I tried both, PN531 as initiator as well as target, and both of them cannot work. When pn531 acts as initiator, it does detect target, but i think it's not the NFC-device, but rather the secure chip (see SC-SDK).

Is it true that Nokia hasn't implemented the NFCIP-1 correctly?

Hello !

I don't think that the board acting as initiator detects the Secure Chip.

I set the board to detect only Passive NFC devices working at 106kps. When in SC off or SC on mode, the board sees the phone with a NFC_Passive106 mode. However, in SC only mode, I cannot see it (normal because it is then seen as a Mifare 1k or ISO 14443-4 card).

Did someone manage to make the PN531 communicate with another NFC compliant device ? I also tend to think that there is a problem with the Nokia shell, but as I have only Philips board, I cannot be sure of that...

according to ISO standards, a successful connection begins by sending a request command. this request cmd is 0x26 or 0x52 which should be sent by pn531. after that, the phone should return two bytes. but i am not sure how to control the pn531. if someone could send me a manual about pn531, I may return some advice.
    my mail: togamma@hotmail.com

The PN531 should do the sens_req (0x26) and the all_req(0x52) by itself. since it gets the ID of the shell. The problem is on the DEP layer where no communication is possible. I just get the same behavior as Greybird_.

Was anyone able to establish a DEP connection within a heterogeneous environment (with NFC devices from different vendors). We were obviously able to get connection with devices from the same vendor.

Same problem here. I got some information from Philips, that not even they are able to estabish a P2P communication between a Nokia 3220 and the NFC Reference Board. He said, that it looks like Nokia did implement their own protocoll.

Hi Arnaud,
    I am facing the same problem you faced in Sept 2005 while working with NOkia 3220 and NFC module for P2P communication.
    In case you have progressd I will appreciate your help.
    Kishor

Hello Kishor,

Unfortunately, I gave up trying to make this devices communicate with each other, because I got a phone from another brand that worked flawlessly with the board.

I hope you will suceed

Arnaud

@Greybird: this makes me curious. Which brand is it and where can I buy it? If you can't tell us the brand, maybe you could tell us, there the manufacturer is located ...