Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation how do I import my root CA certificate on nokia 6021 or nokia 6600 or nokia 9330.

Hi,

I have a working j2ME Midlet that sends requests to webserver(tomcat) using HTTP connection.

Now I want secure transmission of my request. i.e I want to use HTTPS connector to send request to web server.
    I got verisign Free Trail certificate for my webserver. Generated correct .keystore file and configured Tomcat.

Using java WTK I imported the .keystore file into emulator and got my HTTPS connection working through emulator.

I want to make this application work on nokia 6021 or nokia 6600 or nokia 9330.
    What I want to know is how do I import my root CA certificate onto handset.

(What I gathered by looking into lot of Nokia posts is that, I don't need signed Midlet to have secure transmission.
    I can have normal unsigned midlet and use HTTPS connection to achive secure tranmission. Is that right.)

thanks in advance..

Yes, just access the certificate (in X.509 DER format) with the internal browser and it will install. For the Nokia 6021 I would wait for the final certificate because it might need a special format of the certificate, if self imported. Too much hassle just to test the certificate.

Re: how do I import my root CA certificate on nokia 6021 or nokia 6600 or nokia 9330.

I didn't quite understand. New to SSL and J2ME domain....
    I have root CA certificate file (.cer) that I generated for tomcat. (Now how will I know if it is a X.509 DER format.)

As u said I aceessed this file from phone browser. It allowed me to download in my gallary folders only, which was of no use. I think the nokia 6021 didn't understand this as a certificate file.

Also I would like to mention following,
    I could sucessfully open my tomcat's homepage from nokia 6021 browser
    https://IP_adress:8443
    With 2-3 "security alerts" ofcourse...

What I am not able to do is talk to my webserver using HTTPS from within Midlet.
    My application shows "certificate failed verification". I have posted code to you by e-mail separately.

Please please help me. My trial verisign certificate is going to expire today.....

Re: how do I import my root CA certificate on nokia 6021 or nokia 6600 or nokia 9330.

Thnx. Traud

As you mentioned I converted verisign certificate in x509 DER format. (Downloaded OpenSLL binary for windows)
    And I could import this certificate into nokia 6600 and nokia 9300. Great!

Now I am onto testing the https request through midlet ...

Thnx. a lot.

One more question, I want to know how to import the certificate in 6021.
    I think 6021 supports application/vnd.wap.wtls-ca-certificate
    how do I convert my verisign certificate to this format. Is there any utility/documentation provided by nokia to convert certificates to this format?

Super Contributor

Try simply configuring your web/WAP server to send the MIME type "application/vnd.wap.wtls-ca-certificate" for the certificate file and see what happens.

How the MIME type is configured for the file type depends on which/whose server you have, so check its documentation, if you don't know.

Hello,

Quote Originally Posted by petrib
    Try simply configuring your web/WAP server to send the MIME type "application/vnd.wap.wtls-ca-certificate" for the certificate file and see what happens.
    I am trying to do the exact same thing but in order to test application signing with a self-signed certificate.

At http://www.freecerts.com/ you can find a test root certificate and an option to generate test-certificates. If I try installing their root certificate on the Nokia 6021 however, I get the message "Certificate Not Supported". Even though they also use MIME type "application/vnd.wap.wtls-ca-certificate".

I have no luck in getting a certificate installed on the Nokia 6021 so far.

Hello Petrib,

No luck with getting certificate downloaded on to nokia 6021. I am using Tomcat so I added entry into web.xml for .cer file "application/vnd.wap.wtls-ca-certificate". (My actual certificate is in binary x509 format.)

I tried downloading .cer file, as said previously it asks me to save file into gallary folder. When opening the saved file obviously it says file format unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by acceltree_pune
    I am using Tomcat so I added entry into web.xml for .cer file "application/vnd.wap.wtls-ca-certificate". (My actual certificate is in binary x509 format.)
    I think you need something like this http://www.valimo.com/cgi-bin/en/con...ficate_encoder to convert it to the WTLS format. This source: http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/archive/t-8554.html notes:

"Have you seen the "Nokia WAP Phone Security v3.0" document on page "http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/1,35452,1_1_15,00.html#xhtml"? If not, look at section 3.4 which talks about WTLS vs. X.509v3 certs. Seems WTLS certs which are binary should work on all handsets, while X.509 is only supported on Series 60 and 92XX."

Hello natal and traud,

thnx for you help.
    I visited valimo sight but they do not have actual utility for downloading. I could download only documents regarding the product

So could not convert my x.509 certificate to WTLS or WPKI format.

traud can you pls. pls. help me out? From your previous posts looks like you have done it before. Any help will be appriciated......

I am using nokia 6021 MIDP2.0 CLDC 1.1 (firmware- v 03.83) phone

For such a Nokia, you need WPKI. However, I do not understand why the Nokia papers say, such a phone supports X.509 DER. WPKI hashed CA is non usable because a user has to enter around 30 digits. Nice for testing but not for production. WTLS is not supported anymore. Ask Verisign for a WPKI. They have to provide them. If you go for a full paid certificate, there is no need to go for a custom installed one anyway.

Make sure there is a root certificate for your SSL certificate on device and then buy it. Period. Debug your MIDlet afterwards.
    Last edited by traud; 2005-11-30 at 09:09.

Thnx. Traud for your valuable reply.....

Now I will halt my efforts about testing SSL on verisign trail certificate for nokia 6021.

I will go for paid certificate from Verisign. On my device in the certificate list it shows some preinstalled verisign certificates......
    So hopefully that should do it .....

Thnx. very much once agian....

Hey guys,

I got my Thwate trail certificate.
    SSL is working fine from my untrusted midlet on nokia 6021, 6600 and 9300.

Great! thnx. to every one who helped me.

Unhappy Re: how do I import my root CA certificate on nokia 6021 or nokia 6600 or nokia 9330.

Quote Originally Posted by acceltree_pune
    Hey guys,

SSL is working fine from my untrusted midlet on nokia 6021, 6600 and 9300.

Great! thnx. to every one who helped me.

Hello acceltree_pune,

thanks for your thread. I am also facing same prob.

But i am not getting how to install it in Nokia S40 mobiles. Could help me on this.

I got 2 trial certificate with my one CSR. i am in dilemma how to use them.

For code (MIDlet) signing or SSL (internet) access?
    The first is not possible with a trial certificate. For the latter you are in the wrong section here in Forum Nokia Discussions.

I had the same problem, but after reading few topics I successfully imported 2 certificates (Thawte and Equifax), but the problem is, that "Applications signing" is disabled and cannot be checked.

Menu -> Settings -> Security -> Authority Certificates -> Certificate List -> you choose certificate -> Options -> Select Use -> there are 3 options: and first is disabled?! But only on newly imported certificates. On older one (installed from default) have all 3 options enabled?

I am trying to use Gmail client on my Nokia 6233.