Discussion Board

"Hello World" crashes (on S60 3rd, VS.NET)

I installed Perl 5.6.1, S60-3.0 SDK, and carbide.vs (on a Win XP system with Visual Studio .NET). Everything seems to be OK, from inside Visual Studio I can create a "Hello World" program (Symbian 9, S60 3rd Ed Hello World Application) which compiles with no errors. On running, the emulator starts up, but very soon (sometimes on the first mouse movement, sometimes as I'm selecting the "Installed" page - but in any case, before I run "Hello World") it crashes with an unhandled exception error (at 0x0086b841 in epoc.exe: User Breakpoint). Continuing leaves me with a flashing "System: System Error" box on the emulator. Any thoughts?

(Edit) - the emulator also crashes just starting it from the Start menu.
    Last edited by dhodson; 2005-11-25 at 03:53.

Regular Contributor

Re: "Hello World" crashes (on S60 3rd, VS.NET)

I've noticed that the emulator sometimes crashes when it starts with something like "IPw server Panic 100". It has nothing to do with my installed applications.

So it could not be your application the guilty one. But I don't know how to fix these start crashes.

Super Contributor

Hi,

There seems to be 2 things that might cause issues with the emulator during startup irrespective of the application.

1) If you have no com-port (like COM1) defined on your system. The workaround for this is to enable a COM-port in your hardware profile.

2) There can be issues with the npacket driver supplied with the S60 3.0 Beta. The workaround for this is harder, you can remove the npacket driver, search for npa*.* under your windows dir and delete those, the issue with this is that you will not be able to emulate any app's that connect to the Internet. You could also try to (re)install an older SDK to have that installation install an older version of the npacket driver.

Quote Originally Posted by mitts
    There seems to be 2 things that might cause issues with the emulator during startup irrespective of the application. [...]
    Thanks, that's helpful - the emulator definitely just shuts down after 30 seconds or so, with no user intervention at all. However, it looks like I can use the 2nd edition emulator anyway, so I probably won't pursue this any further.