Discussion Board

Unhappy Carbide.vs problem with the installed SDK's

Hello all,

I have installed Carbide.vs along Visual Studio .NET 2003. When I installed Carbide, I had the following SDK's installed:

- Series60 1.2 SDK Nokia Edition (with Symbian 6.1, WINS);
    - Series60 1.2 SDK Code Warrior Edition (with Symbian 6.1, WINSCW);
    - Series60 2.1 SDK Visual Studio .NET Edition (with Symbian 7.0s, WINS);
    - Series60 2nd Edition FP2 SDK (with Symbian 8.0a, WINS).

Carbide fully recognized the 2.1 and 2nd Ed. FP2 SDK's. The Code Warrior SDK was also recognized, but it cannot be selected (it was grayed out). The 1.2 Nokia Edition SDK (with WINS) wasn't even detected (any idea why is that? I was under the impression that it is also supported).

Now I don't use CodeWarrior anymore and I've uninstalled the 1.2 CW SDK. And now, when I try to Enable/Disable SDK's in Carbide, I get the following error:

Error in enabling SDKs. No installed SDK found. At least one Symbian SDK must be installed to use this Addin.

Now why I am getting this error? I have 3 SDK's installed !!! I tried even to un-install and re-install Carbide, and the same happens.

So if you have any idea how can I solve this, please tell me.

With regards,
    Nick

Super Contributor

Re: Carbide.vs problem with the installed SDK's

Hello,

Take the latter issue first. The S60 1.2 installer I suspect is removing the registry entry used to find the Symbian tools directory (I am not able to try that out on my machine so I need to trust my memory). This in turn is needed to find the devices.xml file which is the primary source for SDK information (however is not used by 1.2).

The registry entry that is needed is: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symbian\EPOC SDKs" so check if that has been deleted, then my diagnosis is correct. You can also check that the directory (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symbian) has not been removed in the process.

If that is indeed the case, then the best way to get the registry key back is to install an SDK. To then fix the first problem (that of the WINS 1.2), I would suggest that it would be easiest to uninstall the WINS 1.2 and then reinstall it, the 1.2 version was not really very good at co-existing with other SDKs. This should put the WINS 1.2 in a mode where it can be found as well as enable Carbide to find the rest of the SDKs.

Hello, please see my comments inside.

Quote Originally Posted by mitts
    Hello,

Take the latter issue first. The S60 1.2 installer I suspect is removing the registry entry used to find the Symbian tools directory (I am not able to try that out on my machine so I need to trust my memory). This in turn is needed to find the devices.xml file which is the primary source for SDK information (however is not used by 1.2).

The registry entry that is needed is: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symbian\EPOC SDKs" so check if that has been deleted, then my diagnosis is correct. You can also check that the directory (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symbian) has not been removed in the process.
    Well, I've checked out that key and it is present. It has a CommonPath String key with the value C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symbian. Also, this directory is present in the system.

Quote Originally Posted by mitts
    If that is indeed the case, then the best way to get the registry key back is to install an SDK. To then fix the first problem (that of the WINS 1.2), I would suggest that it would be easiest to uninstall the WINS 1.2 and then reinstall it, the 1.2 version was not really very good at co-existing with other SDKs. This should put the WINS 1.2 in a mode where it can be found as well as enable Carbide to find the rest of the SDKs.
    I am thinking of reinstalling all 3 SDK's again. The only thing that I am not really sure is the order in which I should reinstall them. Up until now, I've always installed the 1.2 WINS SDK first, then the others (2.1 and FP2). Do you have any advice regarding this matter? I know that 1.2 is a strange beast and it's not very "friendly" towards the newer SDK's, but, what can I do, I have software I have to support which is built using that SDK :-(.

So any further advice in this matter is greatly appreciated!

Thanks and regards,
    Nick

Super Contributor

Hm,

I would still give it a reasonable chance that the issue is fixed by just re-installing the 1.2 SDK so I would give that a try first.