Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Symbian customer vs Java customer

We are between Symbian C++ and J2ME programming languages and I would like to have some help. Problem is that we arent sure which language we should use in our application. We have wondered that what kind of people buy Series 60 devices and which choose something else. We have done just a little bit research and it looks like Series 60 device buyers are more forward to use applications. What is your opinion and do you know any research about this issue? I would like to read researchs about how many Series 60 and Java devices are in market and what kind of customers are using these devices. eBird have done research about this issue but I havent found original eBird research, perhaps you have.

Lets enlarge this discussion that are Series 60 devices the best devices for using mobile application? These devices have big screen that is the most important feature in our application. Would be great to see research about how many non Series 60 devices with big screen are in market =)

Regs,
    Arachidyl
    Last edited by arachidyl; 2006-06-16 at 19:51.

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Symbian customer vs Java customer

Does a user care if an application is in Java Symbian OS.

If you develop a game for example, and a user wants it, why should they care what's it written in, assuming they even know the difference in the first place, as long as it works isn't that all they care about?

You may not have a choice though, there is much less you can do in Java on a Symbian phone, what if your application requires that it be written in Symbian and not in Java?

Super Contributor

hi,

It depends on the kind of application that ur developing. If ur application requires devices system's access then Symbian os is the ideal choice. If not then java is very good for rapid development.

Regards,
    Mateen Maldar
    "Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve"

Regular Contributor

Thanks for your comments.

Right now it looks that J2ME would suite better in our case. Too bad we have already done prototype with Symbian C++. There is no low level programming or no need to device's system access. Only problem because we arent so eager to move in J2ME is better stored data managing in Symbian C++, thanks to DBMS API. There is no relation database in J2ME and thats pain =)

Any idea what kind of markets Series 60 and big screen Java devices have in Europe?

Super Contributor

hi,

Better check the mobile news survey of the that region that ur targeting to.

Regards,
    Mateen Maldar
    "Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve"

My opinion is that the customer dowsn't care about the programming language of the application but he cares about the features of the application instead....Understood?

Another thing is that Symbian is very hard to learn and program and too low level and it is good for accessing low level services in the os in general.

About DBMS,there is an easy to learn API in both symbian and j2me.

Yucca