Discussion Board

Linking in OS 9.1 with third party libraries

Im developing for Symbian 9.1 and need to link with a third party library. Previously (when using 7.0s) I could just specify the library in the MMP file and the build tools would happily link with the file.

Now, however, it doesnt seem quite so simple. We have had the library recompiled for ARMV5 but are still experiencing problems linking with it. I notice from the SDK help that the file format in 9.1 for binaries has changed and needs to be in the E32Image format. There seems to be a tool in the SDK (elf2e32) that is able to generate the library in the format required but when we try and use it (supplying the third party library we have been given as the --elfinput= parameter) we just get the following error:

"elf2e32 : Error: E1005: ELF file aacommon.a is not 32 bit."

Has anyone had any similar problems when trying to use elf2e32 or when using third party libraries on OS 9.1

Any help is greatly appreciated

Many Thanks

Jad

Super Contributor

Re: Linking in OS 9.1 with third party libraries

Which compiler did your supplier use to compile for ARMv5? And what did you use to compile your code?

I notice that there are two version of ABI in ARMv5, i.e. ABIv1 and ABIv2. GCCE supports only ABIv2, RVCT 2.1 supports only ABIv1 and RVCT 2.2 supports both. It might be because of this, your third party libraries was compiled to ABIv1 and your compiler supports only ABIv2 (or vice versa).

Antony

Re: Linking in OS 9.1 with third party libraries

They also used the GNU GCC complier. However, our supplier used the Linux toolchain whereas we are using the windows toolchain - but presumably this shouldnt be an issue? As far as we know they used the same set of flags we are using so we cant see why their library isn't usable
    Last edited by juliand77; 2005-12-01 at 16:22. Reason: typo

Now get error E1035 from elf2e32 tool

Ive now got versions of the libraries that the elf2e32 tool seems to accept.

However it now complains with an Undefined Symbol error:

"elf2e32 : Error: E1035: Undefined Symbol AABytesToTimeMs found in ELF File AACommon.a."

After doing a readelf -a to get details of the AACommon.a file, the symbol AABytesToTimeMs is detailed as being in the "relocation section" of the elf file.

What does this actually mean and can anyone tell me how to resolve this so that I can get the elf2e32 tool to convert the library?

Many Thanks

Jad