Discussion Board

Thread: Image EXIF data

Image EXIF data

The internal camera application fills in the EXIF block of JPG files, is there any way to do this with ECam (CCamera)?

Is there any way to determine the shutter speed and aperture used when a picture is taken with CCamera?

Is there any way to directly set the shutter speed and aperture before taking a picture with CCamera?

And what about directly capturing a JPG image with CCamera, instead of a bitmap? Is there any way? Because conversion of a bitmap to JPG for saving is really slow.

Thanks for any assistance.
    Ken

Regular Contributor

Re: Image EXIF data

Aperture? Shutter? We are talking about a phone camera, aren't us? Or are there any Symbian-based SLR's out there?

As for conversion, while it's slow, unless there's hardware for it which I doubt is someone will have to do it anyways.

The most basic settings in any camera are the aperture and shutter speed, all these damn point and shoot give you a plethora of options, night mode, sports mode, portrate mode, landscape, birthday, you name it, the list goes on, just to adjust two simple paramters... <rant off>

More importantly the control of these very basic parameters should in my opinion be a part of any API to a programmable camera (these incredible new devices are not "just" camera phones). Nokia obviously thought recording this metadata in the EXIF headers of images from the "built in" camera app was important, or they would not have done it. Apparently Symbian does not understand the importance of the information in image processing systems, nor do they seem to have the same reverence for standards (EXIF).

The CCamera API has a reference to jpeg quality in the image capture setup (as well as in the conversion API) unfortunatly it does not seem to work, it looks like it should create an HBufC8 containing jpeg compressed data "directly", instead of a bitmap (I asked about this in another post but got NO replys). Somewhere in the system there is either hardware or software that creates jpeg files fast (10 times faster that the conversion lib) because the built in camera can take pictures all day long at one per second. Using CCamera the best I have been able to achive is about one every 10 seconds (full res on a 6680). If anyone has been able to do it faster I would love to hear from you...

Ken

Nokia Developer Expert

Setting JPEG quality only makes sense when you are capturing JPEG images with CCamera...

Most devices that support capturing JPEG compressed images directly using CCamera also include Exif data in the captured image. (There are exceptions though, at least 3230 supports only JFIF).

Using JPEG format for still image capture is preferred in devices with megapixel camera resolution because the bitmaps will be huge...

I can not get "direct to JPEG" capture to work in CCamera, I have tried it on a 6630 and a 6680. Are there any devices that support it? Perhaps I'm just doing it wrong?
    Any help would be appreciated.

Ken