Discussion Board

Exclamation visual basic 2003 and carbide compile error

i always get an error message when compiling the sample program in sdk 2.0. i always get an error "the null device is missing from your system. we are unable to luanch a build." what seems to be the problem? how do i run programs in visual c++.net?? i have tried using metrowerks codewarrior before but i want to try in visual c++.net too.. please help me.. thanx

Re: visual basic 2003 and carbide compile error

help please.. i really need to do this

Super Contributor

Hi,

Carbide.vs does not support Visual Basic, also Visual C++ as such is not supported. In order to work with supported software you need the full Visual Studio .NET 2003 package.

i have installed the full version of the visual studio.net package but the problem is whenever i try to compile the sample programs it always shows this error
    "the null device is missing from your system. we are unable to luanch a build."

Super Contributor

Hi,

OK, it would be helpful if you could list the steps taken to create the project and post the build log from the Output window.

Exclamation Re: visual basic 2003 and carbide compile error

Project The NULL device is missing from your system. We are unable to launch a build.
    - here's the error that i recieved everytime i compile the sample codes.

Super Contributor

Yes, thank you, but this does not now provide any new information. I would still like to understand what steps you have taken prior to reaching the error: how was the project created and how did you launch the build.

actually i did not create the project i just import a sample project from the symbian sdk the project was solution after selecting the menu project i choose s60 v2.0 for .NET as my sdk and checked wins

now when i press build i get an error "Project The NULL device is missing from your system. We are unable to launch a build."

when i press f5(start) on deb_s60_20_wins i get a message saying "these project configuration are out of date : symbian1- deb_s60_20_wins win32 " and when i press yes i get the same message when i build the program.

what do you think is wrong?

Regular Contributor

Have you actually used the "Getting Started Guide" pdf (found in '\Nokia\Tools\Carbide_vs') or have you been just trying to figure it out as you go along?

C++ for Symbian OS is not as straight forward as you might think, you really should use the getting started guides and take the time to learn the basics first.

To echo mitts, you still haven't given us a definitive 'this is what i did....then i did this...' step by step of how exactly you imported the sample project and tried to build the project files.

Have you installed the which SDK version are you using? Where is it installed? The 'null device' kinda makes me think its SDK related.

ViruDoshi
    ~ No Style Without Substance ~

ok heres what i did first i installed visual studion.net 2003 then i installed the sdk which is installed in C:\Symbian\7.0s\Series60_v20 then i installed carbide_vs and then imported a sample program and when i compile it the error

"Project The NULL device is missing from your system. We are unable to launch a build."

Super Contributor

Hi,

Seems the error is related to your system and VS Setup and in no way to Carbide or the SDK. To resolve the situation, pls use Visual Studio support channels. This is what VS Help offers on the topic:

---- Quote ----

The NULL device is missing from your system. We are unable to launch a build.

This error can be caused by low system resources. Close some applications or reboot.

It can also be caused if you do not have sufficient privileges to the NULL device on the computer.

---- End quote ----