Discussion Board

Connecting Nokia 6680 to SonyEricsson k600

I am trying to write a blue chat application and the program works perfectly with two Sony Ericsson k600. However, when I try to connect Nokia 6680 to k600, I have found that when k600 is acted as a server, the function - getConnectionURL() - on the client side(6680) always returns NULL. As a result, I can't connect 6680 to k600.

But, if 6680 is acted as a server instead of k600, k600(client) can use getConnectionURL() to get the "connection URL" successfully. And, k600 connect to 6680 without causing any problem.

I have also tried to replace the "null" URL value in 6680 by "btspp://k600_address:4;authenticate=false;encrypt=false ;master=false" and start the connection manually. The result indicated that k600 can identify the existence of 6680 but connection stream can not be established. (At that moment, k600 asked for authentication of connection of 6680 and both devices need to enter same pin code for unknown reason. But, after these strange procedures have finished, devices still do not create succesful connection)

I feel dizzy and my project deadline is approching. Can someone offer me some help? Is it impossible to connect two brand phones by bluetooth? Provided herewith is my codes for service search and is started from function - mySearch.

Thank you very much!

Code:
    public void servicesDiscovered(int arg0, ServiceRecord[] arg1) { 
     			servicefound++ 
     			statusForm.append("Services : " + arg0); 
     			for(int i=0;i<arg1.length;i++){ 
     true; 
     				statusForm.append("ServiceRecord: " + i); 
     				statusForm.append("connURL : " + arg1[i].getConnectionURL(ServiceRecord.NOAUTHENTICATE_NOENCR
    YPT,false)); 
     				serviceRecord = arg1[i]; 
     			} 

} 

public void serviceSearchCompleted(int arg0, int arg1) { 
     			servicegroup2find--; 
     			if(servicegroup2find == 0) { 
     				connectNow(); 
     			} else { 
     				this.mySearch((RemoteDevice)deviceList.elementAt(de
    viceList.size()-servicegroup2find)); 
     			} 

} 

public void inquiryCompleted(int arg0) { 
     			if(servicegroup2find==0)servicegroup2find = deviceList.size(); 
     			if(deviceList.size()>0){ 
     				statusForm.append("DEVICE FOUND - " + deviceList.size()); 
     				if(servicegroup2find>0)					 
     				this.mySearch((RemoteDevice)deviceList.elementAt(de
    viceList.size()-servicegroup2find)); 
     			} else { 
     					statusForm.append("DEVICE FOUND - " + deviceList.size()); 
     					connectNow(); 
     			} 

} 

private void mySearch(RemoteDevice dev) { 

UUID[] searchList = new UUID[1]; 
     			//searchList[0] = new UUID(0x0003); 
     			searchList[0] = new UUID(serviceUUID, false); 
     			try { 
     				int trans; 
     				if(!deviceToConnectFound)deviceToConnect = dev; 
     				trans =	myda.searchServices(null, searchList, dev, this); 
     			} catch (BluetoothStateException e) { 
     			} 
     		}

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Connecting Nokia 6680 to SonyEricsson k600

>>I have also tried to replace the "null" URL value in 6680 by "btspp://k600_address:4;authenticate=false;encrypt=false ;master=false"

Where is the UUID for the connection in this connection string? The code snippet is not helping me much Perhaps you'd like to download the application from this document: http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n..._v1_0.zip.html and use it to test the connection. If it works, then you can build your code around it and make your application work.

Daniel

"12341234111110248000555566667777" is the UUID used for this connection. Do I have to use something like "0x1111"?

I have already read that document and the general structure of my problem is more or less the same as the document.

Probably to late for Nicky Chung, but perhaps my fix for these two bugs helps others, too…

Where do I report bugs with Nokia mobile phones?
    Last edited by traud; 2010-11-19 at 17:47.

Nokia Developer Expert

Was it a bug with a Nokia phone? I have tested the Bluetooth application from the sample doc, and it works fine with 6680 and other vendors' (cannot say which ones ) phones.

I read your post in SonyEricsson's board and it looks like this is their bug. Anyway, to report a bug in Nokia phones I think the best way is through technical support, but I will suggest the manager of this board to create one thread just for that.

I don't know if this is a good idea, because most bugs are actually wrong/incomplete use of the APIs, but still I think after filtering out the noise we can reach some really good reports as the one you did for the Sony handset.

Daniel

Yes, there a two bugs.

The Nokia 6680 has problems to cope with that buggy SDP entries. A Nokia Series 40 like a Nokia 6230 works fine. I do not understand why the Nokia 6680 has problems. getConnectionURL does not work correct. This method is a convenient shorthand for parsing the ProtocolDescriptorList SDP attribute. Unfortunately, it does not work correctly.

getConnectionURL should use the last entry in the ProtocolDescriptorList and look, if it is supported and then go down to the first RFCOMM (or L2CAP) entry. I guess, the Nokia Series 6680 implementation goes from the first entry to the last and when it finds this second (buggy) L2CAP, getConnectionURL simply returns with 'null'.

If I can do it with the SDP manually although getConnectionURL return 'null' – as I have – then getConnectionURL is broken on a Nokia 6680. Period.