Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Network-error on 6270?: KNIEXT_NewGlobalRef

I just got hold of a 6270, downloaded my app to it, and started it up.
    My app needs to go online. However, an error occurs. The phone states: "KNIEXT_NewGlobalRef failed" Does anyone know what this is or what it means? (My app works perfectly on 60-series, and on 6230i, as well as other makes...)

Terje Dahl

Re: Network-error on 6270?: KNIEXT_NewGlobalRef

Hi!
    Same problem here.
    a customer got a new mobile (6270),
    and as soon as the phone tries to build a httpConnection 'KNIEXT_NewGlobalRef failed' strikes.
    The application is MIDP1.0 and works about every mobile you can imagine (if MIDP is supported).
    I assume that the Java-Implementation of the 6270 is buggy...

Anyone with a helpfull suggestion?
    Bye,
    Goran

I too am getting the "KNIEXT_NewGlobalRef failed" error message on my Nokia 6270. I can make calls, check voice mail, browse the web with the default browser, and send text messages. But any application that uses the internet will fail, such as checking email, Opera mini, Google Local, and MidpSSH. Any ideas to fix this would be great.

Hi again!

After some converstaion with my customer, it seems that the error occurs if the GPRS settings are not as they supposed to be.
    My customer managed to get the application working using the right GPRS parameters.
    Anyway, as far as I'm concerend, the phone should throw a 'something like no GPRS Connection' exception and not the one mentioned in this thread.

Sincerely,
    Goran Rukavina
    http://www.mmmps.com

mmmps, would you happen to know the settings that were changed, or configured?

Thanks,
    Ronnie

Hi!

Actually, the information I've got:
    The 6270 did not work properly with the GPRS settings my customer got from the Nokia configuration tool.
    After manually setting the parameters he found on his providers hp the application, and GPRS connections worked.

Sorry I can't provide more information,
    but thats all I could get from teh customer.

Bye,
    Goran

http://www.mmmps.com

mmmps, thanks! I played with the settings some and have now gotten the email to work. So now I have sms, web browsing, and email. I still can not get other apps to work that use the internet, such as google local or Opera Mini.

Nokia Developer Expert

Usually, applications only work if the access point being used is an Internet access point, and not a Wap one.

Daniel

dcrocha, can you please go into more detail on that? I am not to sure what you mean. Thanks!

Nokia Developer Expert

The Access Points that are configured by the operator come in two flavors: 1) Wap, that have a proxy and a wap gateway in the middle of the way, to translate from Wap-specific protocols to the Internet protocols and vice-versa. 2) Internet, that don't have anything like that, as they speak Internet protocols directly.

Applications usually only work with Internet Access Points, so you should ask your operator whether the access points you're using is Wap or Internet, and ask for an Internet one.

Daniel

Guys, thanks for all the help. I have the phone working 100% now. No more errors. To fix it, I had to first go to the Settings menu, Configuration, Personal config. settings. Then from there, I added the access point for my provider, Web settings, email settings, and streaming settings. It did not work until I added the streaming settings. So the problems that I was having were a result of my phone not being configured correctly. Thanks for the help! I will write this up and place it on my website at http://www.wallyx.com/nokia_6270

Ronnie

Hi,

I had the same problem with my Nokia6280 and Nav4all application (Opera worked correectly). Changing the GPRS settings didn't help. So I just switched off and on my phone and it helped!!

Radek

Quote Originally Posted by ronnieroller View Post
    I too am getting the "KNIEXT_NewGlobalRef failed" error message on my Nokia 6270. I can make calls, check voice mail, browse the web with the default browser, and send text messages. But any application that uses the internet will fail, such as checking email, Opera mini, Google Local, and MidpSSH. Any ideas to fix this would be great.
    plz help getting "KNIEXT_NewGlobalRef failed" error message on my Nokia 6270.

Super Contributor

Try removing the battery for a little while. This has helped me when I had the same problem.
    Also make sure that the preferred access point for MIDlets is properly defined

Hartti

I did all you say
    nthng happened
    just subscirbe to packet data