Discussion Board

Receiving Application By Diallinga number

I have developed an application fro mobile for my final project. i would like others to be able to download it by Dialling a number. can anyone help me and give me an idea if i can do this for my project and where ahould i start?

Many Thanks

Re: Receiving Application By Diallinga number

Hello navid-rad,

Quote Originally Posted by navid-rad
    I have developed an application fro mobile for my final project. i would like others to be able to download it by Dialling a number. can anyone help me and give me an idea if i can do this for my project and where ahould i start?

Many Thanks
    I don't know whether this is sufficient for you, but... You could send an SMS [to the calling number] containing a link to the .jad. This of course requires the caller to open the SMS and to open the link in it with the phone's browser... not exactly straight forward, but should work.

To make it better, I guess you could send a "WAP Push message" (which is a special kind of SMS) containing the link to the .jad. In this case the caller does only have to accept the Push message.

- Jibbox

Re: Receiving Application By Diallinga number

Hi, can you share more about the wap push message? How do we use it to install the midlet?

Thanks,

Wink Re: Receiving Application By Diallinga number

Hello Tina,

Quote Originally Posted by tina.cham
    Hi, can you share more about the wap push message? How do we use it to install the midlet?

Thanks,
    First of all, I have to admit that I've never done this or even thoroughly familiarised with the subject... BUT, in theory, you just have to send a WAP Push message with a URL that contains the .jad file.
    => When receiving the message, it does not go to the inbox, instead the recipient is queried whether it's OK to open this link. If the person accepts, then the link is opened... If the link contains a file with the right MIME-type (i.e. jad), then the installing procedure should start... With a question to the user whether he/she wants to install a new application.

The real problem here is forming and sending the Wap Push message... Somewhere in the WAP specifications there's definition for the PAP (=Push Access Protocol), which to my understading is not that simple (never looked at it though). Also you need to send this PAP -based message to the operators' PPG (=Push Proxy Gateway)... And to my understanding, getting the access to operators' PPG may not be that easy.

I don't know whether there are any aggregators or middle-players who make it easier for small players to do this, but I suppose the same players who offer connections to operators' SMSC's could offer similar services for wap-push.

I believe there are also commercial "mini SMSC" -products available for your PC/GSM Phone -combo that can send WAP Push messages.

In addition: I'm sure there must be people in this forum that have more knowledge on this topic than I do... Maybe doing "search" with key words "Wap Push" will lead you to them, =).

- Jibbox