Discussion Board

Problem of using MIF and MBM together in 3.0

Hi, I want to use SVG and bitmap graphics together in my application. I followed the Scalable UI guide line document (from Forum Nokia).

I create the MIF, MBM and MBG using the MK file (copy from the Icons_aif_scalable_dc.mk from helloworldbasic).

Case 1:
    I put MIF and MBM under \\resource\\apps\\. My application can use the SVG icons on a list box. However, it cannot load bitmap from MBM.

Load SVG:
    Code:
       CFbsBitmap *bitmap, *mask;
       AknIconUtils::CreateIconLC( bitmap, mask, aFileName, aBitmapId, aMaskId );
       CGulIcon* icon = CGulIcon::NewL( bitmap, mask ); // ownership transferred
       CleanupStack::Pop( 2 ); // bitmap, mask
    Load Bitmap:
    Code:
       CFbsBitmap* bitmap = GetBitmapL( aFileName, aIndex )
    Case 2:
    I put MIF and MBM under \\private\\1000ABCD\\. My application cannot load bitmap from MBM. The icons on list box become empty too.

Case 3:
    I give up the SVG and put START BITMAP in MMP file (same as the way in 2.x). I put the MBM under \\private\\1000ABCD\\. My application can load the bitmap from MBM. No SVG so I changed my graphics list box to simple list box.

Does anyone able to use bitmap and SVGT together? Can I put those files under \\private\\1000ABCD\\ instead of the public share folder \\resource\\apps\\?

thanks a lot in advance.

lukedau

Post Re: Problem of using MIF and MBM together in 3.0

Hi,

Case 1:

I think you are supposed to use the same API to load either SVG or BMP from MIF or MBM files. From the documentation it looks like bitmap and SVG cannot be in the same files though SVG -> MIF BMP -> MBM.

Case 2:

If the SID of your application is
    1000ABCD
    then you should be able to load files from \private\1000ABCD. Now may be it is a case that the API only looks into \resource\apps since this is the preferred location for resource files.

case 3:
    If the above assertion is correct then using the new API to load the MBM might fails if the file is in \private\1000ABCD.

These are not definite answers, but they are worth considering.

GreG

Re: Problem of using MIF and MBM together in 3.0

Hi GreG,

From the documentation, bitmap and SVG are created using the MK file, using the mifconv utility. It will generate a MBM and MIF (if correspondance source file exists). Only one MBG will be created. From the API documentation, SVG or MBM icons are loaded using the AknIconUtils. The filename can be MBM. It will auto detect the extension by the Enum index. If I use the AknIconUtils, the program need to use SetSize before I can use the bitmap. That means I must include the size of the bitmap files I'm using. Is there any automatic way?

Also, I wish to put my MIF, MBM files under the private folder, instead of the resource folder. It is because I might have several files, using some common names, such as icon.mbm, effects.mbm, which may be overwritten by other in resource folder.

Please advise.

Thanks.

lukedau

Post Re: Problem of using MIF and MBM together in 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by lukedau
    That means I must include the size of the bitmap files I'm using. Is there any automatic way?
    There is an AknIconUtils::GetContentDimensions() API that can be used to get the dimensions of the bitmap and then you can call AknIconUtils::SetSize().

Quote Originally Posted by lukedau
    Also, I wish to put my MIF, MBM files under the private folder, instead of the resource folder. It is because I might have several files, using some common names, such as icon.mbm, effects.mbm, which may be overwritten by other in resource folder.
    The resource\apps folder is read only for all applications except the ones that have AllFiles capability (I think). Basically the latter ones can have access to the private directories as well. So you can't protect against those.

Now for normal applications I don't think that they can overwrite existing files on the resource\apps folder even through the installer so to me you can safely leave you icon files in the resource\apps folder.

GreG

Regular Contributor

Having files called things like "icon.mbm" is a really bad idea, as it's likely that others will do the same, and then your two apps can't be installed at once. All the user sees is a message like "install error" when trying to install the second app, which is something I'm pretty sure you don't want to happen to the users of your app.

hi,

I had the same problem.

The approach should be whenever a mbm is created the corresponding enums start from Zero correct.
    When you merge svgs and bmps even if your corresponding enum start off from 16000 + but the mbm takes enum which start from Zero.

for example

lets say u have 1 icon1 in mif and 1 icon2 in mbm
    and the corresponding mbg created be

enum TMifXX_aif
    {
    EMbmXX_aificon1 = 16384,
    EMbmXX_aificon1_mask,
    EMbmXX_aificon2,
    EMbmXX_aifLastElement
    }

ok svgs are normally loaded as you say

when you load the bmps the following calculation have to be done
    CFbsBitmap* bitmap = NULL;
    bitmap->Load(path,(EMbmXX_aificon2 - EMbmXX_aificon1)/2,..);

so what are we doing here
    we are mapping the enum back to Zero which is the offset the mbm takes

do this.

Regards,
    Sriky

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Jokiel
    There is an AknIconUtils::GetContentDimensions() API that can be used to get the dimensions of the bitmap and then you can call AknIconUtils::SetSize().
    Note that if icons are given to regular s60 listbox it wil handle the SetSize call.

Btw. if you change your icons in resource files, and wonder why the listbox still uses old icon, reboot the phone. There is some kind of caching happening behind listbox/svg implementation.