Discussion Board

Newbie for Symbian OS Development

Hi,

I am a newbie for symbian OS development. My past experiance was with Visual Foxpro, Perl and Web programming using ASP. Now I want to create an application for Symbian OS Series 60 phones.

I have looked at offered tools and a little bit confused first between FP2 and FP3 etc. Then I found one datasheet which cleared me what it means. Now I am unable to determine which SDK I should download to use with Visual C++ 6.

Can any one guide me ?

Further, if there any shipping from nokia tools on CD ? I have downloaded a document "Developer Platform 1.0 for Series 60:Getting Started with C++ Application Development Version 1.0; November 21, 2003" and that says "You will need to download the Series 60 SDK for Symbian OS or order a copy of the SDK on a CD from Forum Nokia." But I am unable to locate that page too.

Thanks, Kirtimaan.

Re: Newbie for Symbian OS Development

Hi,
    You can download "SDK for 2nd Edition" from http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/0,,034-4,00.html. Unzip, install and then read build instructions to read how to build the sample applications from the SDK help.

Hope it helps.

Hi,

Thanks 'formaruti' for your quick reply.

I am on dialup net and its panic to download 140 MB over dial up. Does nokia or any third party vendor provides SDK on CDROM shipping service ? As I wrote, In a document from nokia, it was stated that 'order a copy of the SDK on a CD from Forum Nokia.' So where can I order ? I am unable to find that link on fourm nokia.

Thanks again for your help.
    Kirtimaan.

Sorry Kirtimaan, I have no idea.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by kirtimaan
    Hi,

...I am on dialup net and its panic to download 140 MB over dial up...
    I am in the same condition, and I have been unable to find a CD. However, if you have a laptop with wi-fi, you can visit a public library or internet cafe and download 140 MB in about 1 - 2 hours. Or you can pay 12 cents per minute at Kinko's and download 140 MB to a USB memory stick in about 30 minutes (for a charge of $3.60). That's if you're in the U.S. Outside the U.S. it is probably even easier.

Robert Scott
    Ypsilanti, Michigan USA

Smile Re: Newbie for Symbian OS Development

Hello,

Its okay formaruti, thanks for your help. tunelabguy, In india specially in rajasthan (state where I live, its there isn't any public software library).

Getting from Internet cafe is the only one option, I will try for that. Thanks for your help

Thanks, Kirtimaan.