Discussion Board

MakeSIS problem (cannot open file, check filename and access rights)

Hi,

I know that this topic has been discussed before on this forum, but none of these posts did help me...

I've compiled HelloWorldBasic and want to transfer it to my Nokia 6600. I enter:
    makesis helloworldbasic.pkg
    in the sis subdirectory of the HelloWorldBasic subdirectory of Series60Ex. Then I get the error mentioned in the title of this message:
    error: Cannot open file, check filename and access rights

I'll paste the contents of HelloWorldBasic.pk below. The paths are extremely correct... :-) I even copied them and created a .bat file which copied them to a different directory (just to be sure that the paths are correct).

; HelloWorldBasic.pkg
    ;
    ;Language - standard language definitions
    &EN

; standard SIS file header
    #{"HelloWorldBasic"},(0x10005B91),1,0,0

;Supports Series 60 v2.0
    (0x101F7960), 0, 0, 0, {"Series60ProductID"}

;
    "C:\Symbian\7.0s\Series60_v20_B\epoc32\release\armi\urel\HelloWorldBasic.APP"-"!:\system\apps\HelloWorldBasic\HelloWorldBasic.app"
    "C:\Symbian\7.0s\Series60_v20_B\epoc32\release\armi\urel\HelloWorldBasic.rsc"-"!:\system\apps\HelloWorldBasic\HelloWorldBasic.rsc"

Please give me a hint...

Thanks in advance,
    /David R.

Regular Contributor

Re: MakeSIS problem (cannot open file, check filename and access rights)

hi,
    This some times happens even when the folder under which ur files are under read only mode. even if u try setting the folder to non read only and then make the sis still the folder will be in read only mode. better try to copy the entire contents into another file, build them again fully then try making the sis file. this may help u.
    with regards,
    Hemanth.

Hi,

I'm pretty sure now that the problem with MakeSIS is caused because I'm running a Swedish version of Windows XP Home. The makesis.exe program tries to create a directory under Documents and Settings in the subdirectory which is named Owner in English (Ägaren in Swedish). In Swedish, as you can see, this name contains non-ASCII-7 characters and I think this is why makesis doesn't work correctly. I guess the solution would be to create a new user with only ASCII-7 compliant characters.

Regards,
    /David R.

Regular Contributor

Hi !

you should also use no spaces in the path of your project. Putting the project dir in something like 'Documents and Settings' is not a good idea.

Bernd

Hi,

I should clarify. I didn't create the files in the Documents and Settings directory, but MakeSIS tried to. I guess it wanted to create some temporary files. My project directory was located in c:\temp\test.

Regards,
    /David R.

Quote Originally Posted by davidrenstrom
    I should clarify. I didn't create the files in the Documents and Settings directory, but MakeSIS tried to. I guess it wanted to create some temporary files. My project directory was located in c:\temp\test.
    You could try setting the environment variables TEMP and TMP (not sure which one makesis uses, if any) to c:\temp and see if that changes anything... by default, I believe they are set to the temporary files folder under "\Documents and Settings".

Regular Contributor

Hello!

In my case, the error:

"error: cannot open file, check filename and access rights"

was due to some antivirus conflict.

Disable antivirus and try again.

Bye!