Discussion Board

can we get the source file from jar file..

Hello,

I have one doubt about the un zip operation of jar file.When we run the jad and jar file(using Nokia wireless toolkit or Sony Ericsson tool kit .. and give directly the path of jar and jad file from desktop or some other place .. ) it creates a project folder and inside of project we get src,bin,class,res folder .Inside of res folder we can get images which are used in that project.But we didn't get the source folder instead of that we get class file in class folder.What my doubt is how can we decompress the byte(class) file into java file..? and is this possible..? can we get the source file only from jar file..?
    Because my friend told that it is possible to get the source file from jar file..
    But I am not sure about that..Please clarify this issues.

Super Contributor

Re: can we get the source file from jar file..

Yep! you could generate the .java file from a class file with the help of a Decompiler. What you have to do is extract the class files from the .Jar and open with a decompiler.

Regards
    Gopal

Nokia Developer Champion

You can never get the original source code from the .jar file (from .class files), but there are bytecode decompilers that can get you something resembling the source code (more or less & usually much less).

Especially, if the code was run through an obfuscator before it was compiled, then it will still be very hard to figure out (and will be even further away from original sources than with after a straight compilation/decompilation).

Super Contributor

Im.... really...you could generate the Java file from a class file. But never expect the original java code after decompilation.

Regards
    Gopal

Nokia Developer Champion

That's what I think I said; there are bytecode decompilers that can get a .java file from a .class file, but the result - while being Java source code - won't be the original source code (and if an obfuscator was used on the original before it was compiled, it will be even further from the original).

Talking Re: can we get the source file from jar file..

But by this way you CAN get source code and after fixing errorrs recompile app again

By decompilation, for example, i successfully porting BubbleSmile from Samsung (128*128) to Siemens (132*176) and some more games from Nokia, Siemens with screen resizing, sound adopting and etc.

Nokia Developer Champion

Sigh. I though that's what's been explained here a few times already, HidePerso. You can, indeed, convert/decompile .class files to .java source code, but it won't be the original source code.