Discussion Board

How to store my data on memory card on Series 40 phones?

Hi all,

I'm new to J2ME. I want to develop an application for Series 40 phones but it requires plenty of memory for my own data storage. So my "trigger" for starting to try J2ME is if it is possible or not to have the data stored on a memory card. I've been browsing through this site and read postings and the only clear to me is that there is only one java standard for accessing files: JSR-75. But this is only supported on the most recent phones. But from some posts I discover the memory card is also accesible for other phones not JSR-75 capable: FileSystemRegistry.listRoots() also returns the root for the memory card. There is also another method for storing and retrieving data in J2ME: RecordStore. But it looks RecordStore only works with the phone's main memory.
    So I'm a little confused.
    Can I access the memory card from J2ME on all Nokia s40 phones that have memory card?
    Can I configure RecordStore to work on the memory card?
    Just remember I don't want to read other's data. I only want to write and read my own data.
    And I'd like to make my program compatible with as many Series 40 phones as possible.

I hope to get "cleared" on this issue.
    Thanks in advance
    Sammy
    Last edited by Sammybar; 2005-12-27 at 18:16. Reason: Changing title to make it a question rather a proposition

Super Contributor

Re: How to store my data on memory card on Series 40 phones?

>>Can I access the memory card from J2ME on all Nokia s40 phones that have memory card?
    AFAIK you could access the memory card in a S40 phone from a J2ME app only if the phone supports JSR 75.

>>Can I configure RecordStore to work on the memory card?
    IMHO you could not configure the RecordStore location. Instead if your phone supports JSR 75, you could write the necessary data to a file.

Regards
    Gopal