Discussion Board

The cache won't clear itself!

Hi,
    I am building a website on Nokia 6680.
    And sometimes when I make some changes on external files (like css files) I clear the browser's cashe and then refresh the page (otherwise it will show me the last version of the css).

However in the last week it has stopped working, and no change I make to the css file shows on the screen, It doesn't mather if I clear the cache/cookies/whatever, it just won't display the updated css, I even tried to delete the css file and the page still shows the same thing (!)

The only thing that got me to see the updated version of the css was turning of the phone + removing bettery and SIM card... Offcourse doing that after every minor change to the css file can make a man crazy...

I would realy like to know if any of you has a solution to this problem.
    Thanks.

Re: The cache won't clear itself!

Quote Originally Posted by euro_knick
    Hi,
    I am building a website on Nokia 6680.
    And sometimes when I make some changes on external files (like css files) I clear the browser's cashe and then refresh the page (otherwise it will show me the last version of the css).

However in the last week it has stopped working, and no change I make to the css file shows on the screen, It doesn't mather if I clear the cache/cookies/whatever, it just won't display the updated css, I even tried to delete the css file and the page still shows the same thing (!)

The only thing that got me to see the updated version of the css was turning of the phone + removing bettery and SIM card... Offcourse doing that after every minor change to the css file can make a man crazy...

I would realy like to know if any of you has a solution to this problem.
    Thanks.
    are you sure it's not a cache in between that gives you the same content all the time? To verify, change names of htmls, css, etc. and see if you get the new version.

When I change the names of all the files I see the changes.
    But if I change it back to the old name it somehow remembers (maybe it never deleted the cache in the first place) and shows the old css.

So I have to constantly change to names from file1 to file2 to file3 etc...
    By the way, this problem only started on my 6680 two days ago, and on other 6680's it works ok...
    Pretty weird.

.......bump

Quote Originally Posted by euro_knick
    When I change the names of all the files I see the changes.
    But if I change it back to the old name it somehow remembers (maybe it never deleted the cache in the first place) and shows the old css.

So I have to constantly change to names from file1 to file2 to file3 etc...
    By the way, this problem only started on my 6680 two days ago, and on other 6680's it works ok...
    Pretty weird.
    What cache directives do you use for your content?
    If you change the names, it's unchangable also? (that is, you use css1, and then it stopps responding to changes also? or is it only the first time that doesn't refersh anymore?)

Lior

I don't use cache directives, tried to use some when the problem started but it didn't help.

If I change the css file name (and offcourse the link tag in the html referring to that css) I will see the changes
    BUT
    This is the only way I can see css changes, 'cause if I make changes on the css with the new name, I will see the same thing all time.

Meaning I have to constantly change the css file name in order to see changes I made in it.

I guess the phone sees the same css file name and he "guesses" there were no changes to it, and only if it has a completely different name, then the phone will reload it.