Discussion Board

The difference series

HI, Can I check what is the difference between the various nokia phone series i.e S80, S60 and S40? Is this a new classification? What about the past series like the 6610 and those without inbuilt camera? Are they all classified under S40 (the lower ends)?

Thanks,
    Tina

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: The difference series

The classification has been in place for many years. Simply put:

S30 is the very low-end b&w display phones. Basic voice-oriented phones with just SMS, more or less. No programmability (no additional applications/games can be installed).

The S40 (or Series 40) range is somewhat more expensive and more features; colour screens, MMS, Bluetooth, PC connectivity, etc.. So called featurephones, sometimes. Based on a Nokia real-time operating system. Supports Java based additional apps/games with limited or no direct access to phone features.

S60 (formerly Series 60) and S80 (or Series 80) are two different categories of Symbian operating system (a higher-level operating system by Symbian Software Ltd., http://www.symbian.com/) based phones with more or less everything that's in S40 phones + a lot more (multitasking, better multimedia support, programmability, etc.).

At one point there was also a Symbian based Series 90 (S90) effort, but it was folded into the S60 development and the only devices based on that was the Nokia 7700 which was never released as a commercial product and the Nokia 7710, which was released and is still being made and sold.

Symbian based devices support additional apps based on C++, Java or other programming languages with more or less full access to phone features from C++ based apps.

You can compare the devices in these categories through, e.g., the http://forum.nokia.com/devices pages.

HI, Thank you very much for the detail description. Would you know how can we recognise which phones fall under which series based on the phone model? Sorry, there are just so many phones and it would be good to know how nokia classified them.

Btw, I found this in one of the nokia's documentation. Would you know what it meant by devices not compatible with Nokia platforms - what is this Nokia platform?
    • Nokia 3300 (US), Nokia 3330, Nokia 3410, Nokia 3510, Nokia 3530, Nokia 3590, Nokia 3595, Nokia 3600/3620, Nokia 3610, Nokia 5100 (US), Nokia 5210, Nokia 5510, Nokia 6200, Nokia 6310, Nokia 6310i, Nokia 6510, Nokia 6590, Nokia 6800 (US), Nokia 7280, Nokia 8310, Nokia 9210, and Nokia 9210i.

Thanks you very much,
    Tina

Hi. Can you please anwser to tina.cham question that was posted in 2005-12-28? I need to know also how to classified Nokia phone model´s by series.

Thanks

Can you provide a EXCEL list?

Super Contributor

This is a three year-old question...

I don't think we talk about "Series 30" and "Series 80" any more.

Essentially, Series 60 run Symbian, Series 40 don't. That's pretty much it. "Series 40" is generally the name for Nokia's proprietary platform. The Symbian-based "Series 60" platform originates from Nokia, but there are devices from other manufacturers that run '60 too.

"N" or "E" model numbers are Series 60 (with "N" devices being media/game oriented, and "E" devices being business ("Enterprise") oriented).

For numeric model numbers, you cannot tell which software platform is used. You have to look up the specifications.

If you follow the link to the left that says "Device Specifications", you can find device specifications. There, you can filter devices by Series 40 or Series 60. You can find lists of Series 60 devices (including non-Nokia) here.

(Note that not all Symbian devices are Series 60... some Sony and Motorola devices use a different flavour of Symbian called "UIQ".)

Cheers,
    Graham.